Dutch Oven No Knead Bread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mneeley490

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 23, 2011
Everett, WA
I found this recipe by a farmer on Youtube. He and his wife appear to be self-sustaining, which is remarkable in this day and age.

Tried it out yesterday, and the result was very good. It's very easy, and makes a round, artisan-style loaf.
20190217_145322.jpg

20190217_145331.jpg

20190217_173123.jpg

I gotta try this. I am a sucker for easy homemade bread.

Google Jim Lahey's No knead bread. Itr became a New York Times favorite some years ago and requires a longer fermentation period (with less yeast) than the one the OP posted.
Yeah, though this one has the benefit of going from zero to bread in just a little over 4 hours.

I also think it might lend itself easily for variations. The next one I try, I will add a tablespoon or two of olive oil, and some fresh rosemary.

Last edited:
Your bread looks delicious!
My wife, Judy makes a similar version all the time!
It's definitely good stuff & easy to make!
Al

I gotta get a Dutch Oven. How many quart unit did you use for the bread?
The one I used has no markings on it at all. It's small, I'm guessing it is no more than 4-5 qt. But I'm sure you could go bigger.

Last edited:
Since yeast is pretty scarce during the current pandemic, I have used this same recipe using a sourdough starter. I just mix in about 1/2 cup of starter along with the other ingredients the night before, and let it rise overnight. In the morning, I turn it in the bowl, stretching the glutens a bit, then let it rest another 1-1/2 hours before it goes into the dutch oven. Still an easy bread to bake!
20200509_141248.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky