Dumb Question, Just Wondering

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

solar

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 26, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
How many people here cut back on smoking once the fall season arrives? I know a lot of people on this site live up north and was wondering if the cold weather; slows you down, stays the same, or do you welcome it?

I own a bbq style restaurant up in Canada, we cater to alot of American tourists, but have also showed lots of Canadians what real bbq is all about.

We close down in December as we normally have three feet of snow by that point, and my smoker (Cookshacks Fast Eddy 750) is still out doors so from October to Close time Im stuck smoking in the snow. The good thing is the beer is NEVER warm and you dont need a cooler!

Ive smoked in a Oklahoma Joe in the cold as well and its alot of work to keep the temp up, I dont recommend it at all.

It's football season, I smoke and grill away. Only when the temps get really low do I stop smoking but continue to grill. Living in Florida as you know, we don't get a whole lot of really cold weather.

lived in the great white north all my life, ya get used to it. A man's gotta eat. Use more fuel, and wear a coat!

a lil hickerbilly shack helps a little!

Build a big enough fire and melt the snow away!

\

By the end of the smoke there is usually green grass and birds pickin at the ground!

Yeah, this question was directed more towards our northern friends, I don't think we have more than a few days down here where it might be to cold to fire up the smoker.
biggrin.gif
I used my Weber year round the last few years and hope to do the same with my smoker.

Glad to see the snow doesn't slow you down.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
Those are some great pictures, I love the melted snow and green grass pic.

When the wind chills start getting into the sub-zero range I stop smoking...That doesn't mean I quit grilling though! That's year round, you don't have to babysit a grill, just know what you're cookin'.

My smoking actually increases in the winter. I am an outdoors guy, and it gives me something to go out for when its cold and not huntin, that is of course between sitting by the fireplace and drinking high life.
icon_smile.gif
Almost cant wait for winter now....
eek.gif

I'll be putting the offset to bed for the winter here when the weather turns south. I picked up a WSM and plan on smoking all winter with it. I'll be able to set up the WSM on the covered front porch. Couldn't bear the thought of not having any Q all winter.
biggrin.gif

My best cooks are when the temps drop. Better fire control in my opinin.
However when the Kansas wind howls and the the wind chill is sub zero Ill be cookin indoors.

I proclaim, there is nothing better than a smoked Turkey - nothing.

Its hard to get fresh turkeys here before it gets nippy, so who cares.
PDT_Armataz_01_26.gif

We do two every New Year's Eve for the party - ain't not a thing, not a morsel left ever. maybe we'll do three this year.

Brad

If I could shovel off the porch enough to find the smoker or grill we'd be makin' bacon regardless! In fact, during the Blizzard of '77 that's the only way we had to cook with electricity out for 3 weeks (was on propane and couldn't get a delivery in, no driving on the roads allowed, got 13 1/2 ft of snow overnight, a total of 22ft in 4 days).
Of course, now I'm in Texas, there's not a day bad enough not to smoke, even with freezing rain (covered porch out back!).
biggrin.gif

Glad to hear most everyone doesn't let the weather slow them down. Even though I've lived in Florida for close to 30 years, I still have that thick Michigan blood and enjoy cold weather. I could see myself smoking in less than favorable conditions.

Flash, that's one sweet looking Red Fish.

I tend to smoke more if anything from now until spring. Salmon fishing, goose hunting, deer hunting, they all seem to drive smoking. I have a few buddies that we all get together in December and make sausage. I made summer sausage last year and the wind chill was around -10 f.Good times.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky