Dueling butts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

myownidaho

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Nov 27, 2016
Southwest Idaho
Freddy's had bone in pork butts for $1.79 a pound. My neighbor across the street has been bugging me to smoke one for him so I grabbed two that each weighed exactly 7.5#.

Basic rub, injected with apple juice and into the fridge overnight.

Into the smoker this morning on hickory and apple. Starting temp 180 ramping up to 250.

MOI,  I'm in !
popcorn.gif

We had a cool breeze today, so I never got all the way to 250. I also didn't wrap this time. It took a full eleven hours to get to 203 IT.

Foil, towel, into a cold oven for a rest. I ended up cutting off a hunk early because it was getting late and food was required. The rest is still sitting in the oven for a bit longer. Probably not my best PP but still fit the bill quite nicely.

Reactions: pc farmer
Looks good to me.  

11 hours is good to me.  I set the mini temp and go to bed.

HOW did you find 2 at the same weight????

Looks good to me.  

11 hours is good to me.  I set the mini temp and go to bed.

HOW did you find 2 at the same weight????

Sheer dumb luck. What they had available ranged from 7.3# to 7.6#. I took the two that weighed 7.5#.

Might not be your best PP, but it sure looks good from here!!

Gary

Thanks, Gary! It's only because I didn't let it rest as long as I should, so it wasn't as tender as I would have liked. I will reheat the rest of the wrapped butt and that should take care of it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky