• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Duck Eggs

SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
I traded a doz chip eggs for 8 duck eggs.
I think she got the better end of the deal.

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

Pickle tomorrow.

IMG_0012.jpg

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Last time I ate a duck egg I was still at home on parents chicken farm.

DougE

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 13, 2010
I had ducks when I was a kid and nobody in my family really cared for the strong taste duck eggs have. Mom used them for baking and I gave the rest away to people who loved them.

dons2346

Smoke Blower
Feb 6, 2008
Duck eggs are good for baking but a little strong to eat by themselves. I do like turkey eggs with the larger yoke

Winterrider

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 29, 2018
That's what we found yrs ago, was the duck eggs just used for baking.

millerbuilds

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 13, 2013
Not a huge fan of straight duck eggs, but great for baking or in a dish with acid to balance the stronger flavor than that of Chicken eggs. I am very interested to hear how the pickled duck eggs turn out.

- Jason

Hockeydudde

Smoking Fanatic
Jan 31, 2022
I hadn't noticed a taste to duck eggs at all. 🤔
We like them for baking and will use them for scrabbled. They hold up nice to a hash or something with more texture since they set firmer.
Interested to see how the picked texture is. Fried the whites are too firm for me. I always assumed boiled they would be like eating a hockey puck, so never tried it.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2016
We were getting duck eggs every trout trip in PA.
I noticed a very noticeable change in taste between ducks kept penned and fed pelleted feed / fresh water, and those allowed free range in a pond and offered supplemental veggies and/or limited pellets.
The latter having the more distinct flavors and bright orange yolk.

Hockeydudde

Smoking Fanatic
Jan 31, 2022
We were getting duck eggs every trout trip in PA.
I noticed a very noticeable change in taste between ducks kept penned and fed pelleted feed / fresh water, and those allowed free range in a pond and offered supplemental veggies and/or limited pellets.
The latter having the more distinct flavors and bright orange yolk.
Ducks instantly turn "fresh water" into a mucky pond! Trying to provide fresh water for a duck is a fools errand. 🙃

Fueling Around

Smoking Guru
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 10, 2018
I love duck eggs, but our supplier hasn't raised them in a few years.
Didn't a distinct difference in flavor.
Never worked up the courage to try a balut.

dons2346

Smoke Blower
Feb 6, 2008
"Never worked up the courage to try a balut."
Well, having been there and done that, I can say you haven't missed a lot. Once, on a dare, was enough.

Fueling Around

Smoking Guru
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 10, 2018
We mostly get farm fresh eggs. Twice wife has cracked an egg with about a 7-10 day puddle of chick. She's a pretty good sport and just tosses in the garbage and reaches for another egg.

DougE

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 13, 2010
We mostly get farm fresh eggs. Twice wife has cracked an egg with about a 7-10 day puddle of chick. She's a pretty good sport and just tosses in the garbage and reaches for another egg.
One reason I only have hens. I also got tired of flogging the one rooster I did have every time I needed to go in the run to fill the waterer. He was pretty aggressive.

KBFlyer

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 7, 2018
This showed up on my Cummunity Facebook page late yesterday. Good for him.

"Good evening. We have a very enthusiastic young business man out at the end of our driveway selling freshly squeezed/juiced lime, pineapple and strawberry juice! He also has some fresh chicken, quail and duck eggs is anyone is interested! "
436259841_441504051804115_7075919742060365419_n.jpg

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
Awesome! I love helping young entrepreneurs!

Fueling Around

Smoking Guru
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 10, 2018
One reason I only have hens. I also got tired of flogging the one rooster I did have every time I needed to go in the run to fill the waterer. He was pretty aggressive.
We have no say on what our egg suppliers have in the inventory. I wish they didn't keep roosters, but some do for the predator protection. As you said, they are pretty aggressive.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
Clicky