Dry Rub Or Brine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fsa46

Original poster
Mar 13, 2020
What is your preference for fish ( any fish ) fillets, dry rub or brine ?

Dry rub containing Salt, flavors and dehydrates. Brines flavor and add moisture. What you use depends upon the desired end result. Lox...Dry, Smoked Halibut Steak...Brine...JJ

Reactions: fsa46 and JC in GB
This going to be one of those "local" things. Here in TN , I deep fry catfish, bass, and panfish with an egg wash, cornmeal, and some seasoning. If I'm lucky enough to catch a trout, it's put in a foil pack with lemon, butter, and garlic.

Dry rub for smoked fish I use a super basic 4:1 Brown sugar to kosher salt ratio. I do season the fish after the cure process with dry spices. No need to season during the cure as it will all get washed off prior to smoking. Here's link to the process I use:

I have done both dirtsailor2003 dirtsailor2003 method and wet brine. they are different and its preference as to which you like more. Last salmon I made with a wet brine of 1 cup brown sugar and one cup kosher salt with a scoop of rub and some lemon juice. Cut portions and brinded about 3 hours, dried a few hours in the refer then rubbed with a garlic rub. best salmon i have made to date.

Whats the fish of choice? And whats the cooking method? If you can narrow that down you will get some great ideas from people here. I'm with 6GRILLZNTN 6GRILLZNTN . I like most freshwater fish fried just the way he explained. But nice sized catfish with blackened seasoning in a cast iron or a flat top is hard to beat too!

For basic smoked Salmon I use the basic dry brine. For Ling Cod, I prefer a wet brine. Different fish = different brines.

Reactions: fsa46
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky