Dry Aged Mesquite Smoked Picanha Roast (W / Lotsa Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
One of the several gift exchanges I did last Christmas was with our good friend Jake ( TNJAKE TNJAKE ) and one of the goodies he bestowed upon me was a dry aged Picanha roast. I knew from the deep, dark, rich coloring of that roast it was going to be spectacular and it didn't disappoint. Had a couple friends over who I built their house for about 15 years ago and we have all gotten to be great friends. Decided to pull out some of the stops and make a nice dinner. Nothing over-the-top crazy, just a few nice offerings. I did a couple of the things on Friday to lessen the stress of putting it all together the day of.

Started with an authentic Key Lime pie made with Nellie and Joe's Key Lime juice. Ready to go into the oven for a few minutes to set the filling
20210806_135344_Fotogenic.jpg

Out of the oven, chilled, real whipped cream, and a garnish of lime zest. Now into the fridge
20210806_143437_Fotogenic.jpg

Next up was to make some fresh chimichurri
20210806_143829_Fotogenic.jpg

The roast
20210806_144440_Fotogenic.jpg

Slice the fat cap (which you can hardly see) and dry brine overnight with coarse Kosher salt
20210806_145208_Fotogenic.jpg

Onto the Weber the next day. Running 250* with a nice chunk of mesquite
20210807_135218_Fotogenic.jpg

While the roast is cooking I made a delicious beef based cream gravy. Just threw it together as usual and didn't measure anything. Started with beef broth, heavy cream, and a little Better Than Bouillon beef base.
20210807_150124_Fotogenic.jpg

Added some minced onion, black pepper, and a bit of garlic powder
20210807_150453_Fotogenic.jpg

Let that simmer for a bit and thicken with corn starch
20210807_154637_Fotogenic.jpg

Made some sour cream and garlic mashed potatoes with chives
20210807_151920_Fotogenic.jpg

Roast all done and resting. Pulled at an IT of 128
20210807_172137_Fotogenic.jpg

This is close to Picanha Perfection I'd say :emoji_wink:
20210807_172308_Fotogenic.jpg

The whole spread. Dr. Flo made a beautiful heart of palm salad to round out dinner
20210807_172514_Fotogenic.jpg

My dinner
20210807_172927_Fotogenic.jpg

Last but not least was the Key Lime Pie for dessert
20210807_175916_Fotogenic.jpg

This turned out to be an excellent meal. The first slice of roast I ate was the end cut and I thought UH OH!! It was kind of tough. Then I realized it was the end cut and my hopes went up some. Cut into the second slice and it was a slice of Heaven!! Absolutely spectacular piece of meat. Melt in your mouth tender with a deep, rich beef flavor that is almost unimaginable. The heart of palm salad was an offering I took to their house last year when they hosted a dinner for us and Flo fell in love with it. That has become her standard offering when they come to visit, which is fine because it is an outstanding salad. Now here's where things get really interesting and is a testament to the great folks in this forum. As noted the roast came from Jake. The heart of palm salad came from Jeff ( jcam222 jcam222 ). The chimichurri and Key Lime pie came from Joe ( xray xray ). The only thing I contributed to this dinner was the mashed potatoes and gravy :emoji_laughing: How's that for a team effort? Many thanks to all for your contributions.

Well, gonna call this one a wrap. Thanks for dropping in and we'll see ya next time.

Robert

Heck yeah bud nice meal all around. You nailed the picanha. Glad you enjoyed it. Smoking those beef ribs you gifted me for labor day. Nice work as usual Robert

Another spectacular culinary effort Robert, you are a true saucier, everything on your plate done to perfection! I'd have made sure to save some room for dessert, the pie looks killer! RAY

Last edited:
Fandamtastic picanha! The whole round of food actually! Perfect and delicious. You have a very nice following of friends I would say! Blessed.
Congratulations!

giphy.gif

Another top notch meal Robert. Everything looks fantastic as usual! Nice color on the roast and those mashed potatoes and gravy really set it off. Big LIKE my friend!

Heck yeah bud nice meal all around. You nailed the picanha. Glad you enjoyed it. Smoking those beef ribs you gifted me for labor day.

Thanks so much Jake. Appreciate the kind words. I tried to do you proud with that roast. Enjoyed it? I'd give my first born child and a pint of blood for another one of those. Hopefully you'll be conducive to another gift exchange in a couple months :emoji_wink:

That is a great looking meal Robert, if I ever relocate I think I'll build next to you.

Appreciate it Jim. We'd love to have you in the community but the lots on both sides of us are already owned...by us. I'm sure we could find a place for you though so come on down!!

Another spectacular culinary effort Robert, you are a true saucier, everything one your plate done to perfection! I'd have made sure to save some room for dessert, the pie looks killer!

The kind words are appreciated my friend. As noted though, this meal was a conglomeration of things from forum members. The pie is so simple. Only 4 ingredients to make it.

Robert

Reactions: TNJAKE
Fandamtastic picanha! The whole round of food actually! Perfect and delicious. You have a very nice following of friends I would say! Blessed.
Congratulations!

Deeply appreciate the kind words and I'd have to agree. We are truly blessed, both with our close personal friends and our online friends. Kinda strange. The world has gotten smaller in some respects due to the Internet bringing people closer but my world has grown tremendously due to the folks in SMF

What a great meal, Robert. I had to google the Picnha roast--new one to me.
That key lime pie

Thanks so much Gary. the pie is so simple to do. Only 4 ingredients to make it. If you whip the cream for the topping that makes 5. Super easy and fast. I'll share the recipe if you'd like.

Another top notch meal Robert. Everything looks fantastic as usual!

Very much appreciate it buddy. It came out well. Getting started on Friday helped and gave me time to focus more on the details Saturday.

Robert

Great looking Picanha tx smoker tx smoker fantastic looking meal Robert!

I grew up with picanha when living in Brazil back in the 60s. We usually sear the fat cap a bit on a high temp grate first then grill the meat side indirect.

Last edited:
Stellar looking meal all around Robert, and I’m sure your guests were thrilled you pulled out all the stops for them. That picanha roast looks like absolute perfection on a plate!

Awesome looking meal, but I have to sayI could eat that whole key lime pie!
My all time favorite pie!
Al

Nicely done. The meat looks perfect. Picanha is a great cut that is not Premium cut expensive. Great Roast or Steaks for us fixed income folks...JJ

Oh man. That hunk o' meat looks great. Like your choice of wood, although you probably didn't need any. Picanha has a nice beefy flavor, and I love its texture.
Everything looks top notch.

We usually sear the fat cap a bit on a high temp grate first then grill the meat side indirect.

I thought about searing it but had a bunch of other stuff going on. Didn't want to chance leaving the roast untended for any length of time.

Stellar looking meal all around Robert, and I’m sure your guests were thrilled you pulled out all the stops for them.

Thanks so much Joe...both for the kind words and for your contributions. I'll tell ya, making the chimichurri the day before REALLY amps up the flavor. I had to add a bit more oil but the flavor was incredible. Much more pronounced.

Absolutely Awesome. Yup that is what this forum is all about helping each other with some mighty fine recipes and methods.

Thank you Warrena nd I totally agree sir. Some really good folks here and I've learned a ton from them.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky