Dry Age and Storage Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Daba's BBQ

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 24, 2021
Metro NYC
I've been dry aging a few rib eye steaks for several weeks now. Am I able to put them in the freezer after they are "finished? I am heading out on vacation for about a week and having never dry-aged meat before, have no idea how long I can keep them in the dry age wrapping? I don't want to come back in a few weeks and $150 worth of meat is ruined - hence, the freezer question.

Thanks.

Peace

You should be OK either way, I have dry aged ribeyes for 60 days, and could have gone longer. The only advice I would give is to keep the ribeye whole before dry aging again. If you dry age the individual steaks there is a lot more trimming to do and you loose a lot more meat.
Al

Reactions: indaswamp
Good morning Al.

The rib eye steaks are wrapped as one, so I think I should be okay until I get back from vacation. I am planning on cooking the eye round on my Weber rotisserie later this week.

I am really looking forward to trying a dry-aged piece of meat. I want to compare to what we normally eat to see just how different the taste, texture, etc. is.

BTW - is there a difference in cook times/temps when cooking dry-aged beef?

Peace

Good morning Al.

The rib eye steaks are wrapped as one, so I think I should be okay until I get back from vacation. I am planning on cooking the eye round on my Weber rotisserie later this week.

I am really looking forward to trying a dry-aged piece of meat. I want to compare to what we normally eat to see just how different the taste, texture, etc. is.

BTW - is there a difference in cook times/temps when cooking dry-aged beef?

Peace
May I inquire why is your dry-aged eye round post locked?

I haven't seen a piece of meat look like that since my grandfather used to dry age beef in the cellar! He sure could cook...

Daba,
Al has you covered on the timeline, But this:
The rib eye steaks are wrapped as one
Might be a problem.... Explain how exactly you wrapped them as one? did you just stack them to form a whole roast? The reason I ask is because a whole fresh muscle is assumed to be sterile at slaughter because of the innate immune system of the animal. Bacteria work their way into meat from the outside, so all the cut areas will have bacteria on them. If you press these cut areas together, you create an anaerobic environment for those bad bacteria to grow. This is why only whole cuts should be dry aged.

I've been dry aging a few rib eye steaks for several weeks now. Am I able to put them in the freezer after they are "finished? I am heading out on vacation for about a week and having never dry-aged meat before, have no idea how long I can keep them in the dry age wrapping? I don't want to come back in a few weeks and $150 worth of meat is ruined - hence, the freezer question.

Thanks.

Peace
When i first started dry aging meat at home I definitely had to try and test a few different ways to get the best result. In the end I ended up buying a steak locker because I did not want to risk it anymore.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky