Drum Smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DLP4412

Original poster
Apr 18, 2020
I have been thinking about getting a drum smoker, but can't decide between a PBC, Gateway, and Hunsaker. Any thoughts?

I almost pulled the trigger on a PBC but saw a few comparison videos between PBC and a Weber Smokey Mountain and it threw me off

Reactions: JLeonard
I don't know anything about them but I'll bump your thread so maybe someone that has one can help. Sometimes so many new threads are started not all are seen.

Ryan

I once had a PBC. It was a good cooker. But if you want to be able to control temps to your liking, it's not the cooker for you. It's a dump the coals and let it ride cooker. But it is significantly cheaper than Gateway and Hunsaker so, it's a plus there.

I've never smoked on a true drum smoker, but when I used my WSM I liked the ease of temp control, not to mention having the access door to the coals.

Chris

Reactions: bill1
I built my own drum smoker and I can run from 100 - 375 and hold within 20 degrees of any temp for hours just regulating the air intake(s). Very conservative fuel usage too. There's a small learning curve but once I figured it out, I sold my offset and have not regretted it.

The Weber Smoky Mountain bullets are champs too.

hzeptd1.jpg

I've been a drum cooker for about 15 years. Mine are slightly taller than a standard 55 gallon drum, but the principle is the same. There are several manufacturers including Gateway and Hunsaker and I think both sell parts if you build your own. Big Poppa Smokers sells a drum kit with everything except the drum, and has an excellent instructional video.

Other than ease of operation, the biggest advantage for me is the flavor. During cooking little flavor bombs of fat drip on the hot coals which is similar to old school open pit BBQ. I'll be glad to answer additional questions.

Reactions: pc farmer
For the folks using WSM, have you ever tried hanging ribs or chicken directly over the coals without the water pan. If so, how did it turn out?

If you have access to a free barrel, and money is a real concern for you, it's hard to beat the price of a UDS. But if you can afford a WSM, it's a bit more flexible (there's a lot to be said for side-door access to the fire) and with a shorter learning curve.

And there are $150 alternatives to an 18" WSM smoker, again if money is tight.

Reactions: gmc2003
I have a PBC jr and do not use it as "let it ride" cooker. I took a lesson from a friend who has UDS. We both use a Pitmaster IQ 110 temp controller. I have good temp control on my PBC jr. 225 to 300+F. I usually run at 260-275F.
Pit Barrels are pricey, the barrels are porcelain/ enamel coated. You can go the UDS route if you can get a barrel easily. Both will turn out some great BBQ.

RG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky