Drum question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

baseballguy99

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
Red Bud, IL
I have an extra Weber lid that I want to use for my UDS.

My FIL had some 55 gallon barrels with a removable lid, but they were too big.

My BIL has some sealed drums, but he lives 3hrs away.

My question...in general are the sealed drums smaller than the removable lid ones?

Was the lid too big or the drum too big.. ??
Either way, you can adjust the size of the drum by wrapping a strip of 20 gauge steel around the inside of the drum or the outside and adjusting where you connect the top of the strip... spread the ends a bit where you drill or weld it to make it larger.... close the ends to make it smaller....

Sorry should have been more specific, the drum was too big.

I was just looking for the easy way out. I always thought a sealed drum was smaller, but wanted to get some opinions before I drove all the way there.

Nope.... same size... My next drum.... I'm using a sealed drum... cut off the bottom leaving about 3/4" of side wall... then stretching the top flange using a hammer and anvil... and shrinking the bottom flange using a sheet metal duct crimper tool... or hammering it inward... should be fairly air tight....
Shrinking the drum lower should make room for the lid...

UDS LIDS 2.jpg

I don't run a drum smoker but my Weber 22 lids fit great on my burn (cut open closed head) drums.Dave has an easy good solution too,your call man.I can buy closed head,cut open drums for $20 all day here...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky