Dried beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Fueling Around

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 10, 2018
FL winter, MN summer
I want to thank members and posters that share their knowledge.
Rather a newbie here on the forum so most of me reading comes from Pops (for the wet cure) and Bearcarver (for the dry cure) on making dried beef. Apologize to other members that have posts I overlooked.

edit: I used Holly2015 suggestions for the sugar. I didn't follow anyone's recipes, but used their inspiration to guide me.

Tried both ways and each have their pluses and minuses .
I found dry cure is a better process for me.

You need to try both and select your own process.

Here's my last batch off the slicer.
150 ppm nitrite and 1.75% sodium and 2 weeks of cure.
Smoked with cherry.

Shared with my morning coffee club. No complaints.

Slicer is a late 60's or early 70's vintage Rival Electr-O-Matic from my mother. I hone the blade to keep it sharp.

-John

IMG_0656.JPG

Last edited:
Nice work. Bear's dried beef recipe is the one I use.

Nice work. Bear's dried beef recipe is the one I use.
Thanks.
I didn't use Bear's recipe or Pop's either for my initial attempts. I used both of their guidelines to encourage me to find the cure to my satisfaction.

Edited initial post to thank Holly2015 for the sugar level.
That works for me, too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky