Double Smoked Kielbasa Sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
A friend of mine has this good recipe for kielbasa. I'm doing it a little different and doing a double smoke and using smaller natural casings so they will be slim jim type.

Here is the recipe for 20, 10 & 5 lbs batches. I'm doing 5 lbs today. I used sheep casing, collagen can be used also, any sz.

20 lbs                                                          

10 lbs ground pork                                         

10 lbs GB 80/20                                            

Ingredients

3 cups water                                                 

8 Tbs kosher salt                                          

4 level tsp cure #1

2 Tbs sugar

3 Tbs (heaping) course black pepper

3 tsp garlic powder

4 tsp (heaping) marjoram (rubb it)

4 tsp cayenne

3/4 to 1 cup mustard seed.

For 10 lbs

5 lbs GB

5 lbs ground pork

1 1/2 cups water

4 Tbs kosher salt

2 level tsp cure #1

1 Tbs sugar

1 1/2 Tbs black pepper (same as above)

1 1/2 tsp garlic powder

2 tsp marjoram (same as above)

2 tsp cayenne

3 Tbs mustard seed   (you can add more if you like)

For 5 lbs

I used this way

4 lbs GB

1 lb ground pork

3/4 cup water

2 Tbs kosher salt

1 level tsp cure #1

1/2 Tbs sugar

3/4 Tbs black pepper (i added and extra tsp also)

3/4 tsp garlic powder (i adjusted to my taste and added 1/4 tsp more)

1 tsp marjoram

1 tsp cayenne (adjusted again by 1/2 tsp)

2 Tbs mustard seed

If your mixing with a mixer its fine to add all the ingredients. If your going to season and put through your grinder dont add the mustard seeds, mix the seeds in by hand.

Here is the 5 lbs i mixed up this morning. I always mix the dry with the liquid, incorporates into the meat better and i dont have clumps of dry in the meat. Cure 1 water in the small one

309c6f78_mkb.jpg

All mixed up ready for stuffing.

2b557d6b_mkb1.jpg

The casings were rinsed inside and out and soaked (1.5 hrs) in cold water with 2 Tbs of vinegar. This helps reduce the veins in the casings.

f6f46db7_mkb4.jpg

My handy dandy hanging rack.

97107c47_mkb2.jpg

5 lbs all stuffed and ready to hang and dry some.

7c05ca14_mkb3.jpg

deae3dae_mkb5.jpg

Now go get the smoker heated. Starting at 130 for an hour no smoke then PID to 140 with smoke for 2 hours. PID to 150 for 2 hrs then PID to 160 for 3 hrs with smoke.

Well Nepas I'm sure it will turn out great. It always does. I wish I had your ambition! I really like the ingredient list for these sausages, they sound delicious.

Looks great as usual.

One question though.

Why do you use a 50/50 split of beef & pork for the 10 & 20 pound recipes, but only 1 part pork & 4 parts beef for the 5 lb batch?

Dang NEPAS---Another one?!?!?!

I wonder how many of your posts I have missed.

Are there really 3 of you???

Bear

And Another Great Sausage Thread By Nepas... 

Looks Great, Thanks for the Recipes...

Looks great as usual.

One question though.

Why do you use a 50/50 split of beef & pork for the 10 & 20 pound recipes, but only 1 part pork & 4 parts beef for the 5 lb batch?

I dont know AK. The recipe he gave me only had the 20 lbs, I broke it down to the other poundage.

Any ways the 5 lb batch i did with the 1 lb pork turned out good. Though i really dont like using sheep casing, next time regular hog casing.

Here is the 5 lbs in for the IT and first smoke.

ca2dc6bf_mkb6.jpg

Cooling and bloom after IT of 151 and first smoke.

e74393e7_MKB89.jpg

Bloom was 2 hours and now they are hanging for the second smoke (cold) No heat. This is my old Bradley smoker just set up for cold smoking.

0ef2acec_MKBDS.jpg

After the 2nd smoke i took the sticks to my hanging place to mellow the smoke down. Going to let them hang here overnight. Fridge tomorrow for a day before cutting and vac sealing. The sticks will prob darken some overnight.

1ce5e901_MKB99.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great but to sound dum on my part what is the marjoram (rubb it)  

Just rub the marjoram in the palm of your hand to break it up so the oils will come out.

BlueBomber

Bloom is just a fancy term for cooling and will darken the sausage.

gotoarace

I have 4 freezers and 3 fridge. Almost full. I do allot around this time of year because me and the mrs tavel and take goodies to family/friends.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by nepas  

I have 4 freezers and 3 fridge. Almost full. I do allot around this time of year because me and the mrs tavel and take goodies to family/friends.

Nice kielbasa. Thanx for the recipe. I'll have to try it..................

Last edited:
Took the kielbasa down from the rod and cut em up.

0e3ff3fe_DSC00303.jpg

efb4a456_DSC00304.jpg

Vac sealed and ready to head to FT BRAGG and points South.

d57a1064_DSC00306.jpg

Yummy........................
2thumbs.gif

Last edited:
I'll PM you my address so I can give it a taste test. I want to make sure your keeping up to your high standards. Just kidding Nepas, everything you do is just off the wall!!

I'll PM you my address so I can give it a taste test. I want to make sure your keeping up to your high standards. Just kidding Nepas, everything you do is just off the wall!!
Which NEPAS are you talking to?

There must be at least 3 of them!!!

Bear

Hey i knew i seen myself around town...LOL

Here is a low budget video.

Did i mention it was low budget 
sausage.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky