Double Smoked Ham ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
personally I usually go with the shank, it's usually 30-50 cents a pound cheaper. as for the taste (tenderness) I don't think I could tell the difference between the butt and shank.

Bearcarver Bearcarver is the master of double smoked ham...If I remember right he usually uses the shank portion. But like Jim said above you aren't going to taste a huge difference. I actually prefer the spiral sliced hams. Can get more seasoning, smoke, and glaze between the slices.

Do you prefer a shank or butt and why?

I actually like both the Butt & the Shank. I think I get more meat for my Buck from the Shank, even though you would think it was the other way around just by looking at them.

I used to swear I'd never get a Spiral sliced Ham, because I had it at a Wedding & at a couple Christmas Parties, and they were all lousy & Dry.
However Mrs Bear brought a FREE one home & I Double Smoked it, and it was Awesome!!
I did two of them since.

If you're using an MES or some other Vertical Smoker, check out my Step by Steps to see my Automatic Basting Trick.

Bear

I can attest to what bearcarver said. Thanks to his step by steps have done several double smoked hams, and they turn out amazing! And even the spiral sliced ones are great. Had one cooked in the oven too long, turned out dry and about like shoe leather.
Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky