1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Double Smoked Buckboard Bacon

Discussion in 'Bacon' started by disco, Apr 9, 2018.

1. zwiller

zwiller Smoking Fanatic

Gonna give this a shot soon. Quick questions and possible a bonehead metric one. Can I confirm that ml and grams are the same. IE your cure mix can also be expressed as:
    • 3 grams Prague powder #1
    • 25g brown sugar
    • 15g kosher salt
    Per kilo.

Also, since salt is based on weight table salt is OK. I am really enjoying using weight based things now and actually prefer metric for them. I actually convert to % to double check salt levels and no surprise yours is spot on 2%. So it's 3% brown sugar, 2% salt, and .3% cure (a little over 156ppm but I have a good gram scale so I will do .25%/2.5g)

2. Steve H

Steve H Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Very well done Disco!

3. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Sorry but no. Grams and ml are not the same. If you want to use grams for the brown sugar and kosher salt, you would use 21 grams brown sugar and 18 grams of kosher salt.

That being said, use these measures and taste it. If you want it sweeter or less sweet, salty or less salty, adjust to your tastes. The measure that is critical is the Prague powder #1. It must be 3 grams (about 2 ml) per kilogram. The best thing about making your own bacon is getting it to taste the way you like it!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    zwiller likes this.
  4. zwiller

zwiller Smoking Fanatic

Thanks. When I googled ml to g a few sites said it was the same but I think that was about water. OK. 3% salt, that matches Marianski.

5. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I messed up in my earlier conversions. I use 18 grams of salt for 15 ml not 30. You are right that most people use more (the 30 grams I originally quoted) but I like less salt in my bacon and I go to the low end.

I have edited my prior post to 18 grams too.

6. Saline_Smoker

Saline_Smoker Newbie SMF Premier Member

Yeah, that's only (pure) water. 1ml of pure water = 1g. That's the only instance I know of where ml/g are interchangeable.