Double Smoked Buckboard Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Gonna give this a shot soon. Quick questions and possible a bonehead metric one. Can I confirm that ml and grams are the same. IE your cure mix can also be expressed as:
  • 3 grams Prague powder #1
  • 25g brown sugar
  • 15g kosher salt
Per kilo.

Also, since salt is based on weight table salt is OK. I am really enjoying using weight based things now and actually prefer metric for them. I actually convert to % to double check salt levels and no surprise yours is spot on 2%. So it's 3% brown sugar, 2% salt, and .3% cure (a little over 156ppm but I have a good gram scale so I will do .25%/2.5g)

Gonna give this a shot soon. Quick questions and possible a bonehead metric one. Can I confirm that ml and grams are the same. IE your cure mix can also be expressed as:
  • 3 grams Prague powder #1
  • 25g brown sugar
  • 15g kosher salt
Per kilo.

Also, since salt is based on weight table salt is OK. I am really enjoying using weight based things now and actually prefer metric for them. I actually convert to % to double check salt levels and no surprise yours is spot on 2%. So it's 3% brown sugar, 2% salt, and .3% cure (a little over 156ppm but I have a good gram scale so I will do .25%/2.5g)
Sorry but no. Grams and ml are not the same. If you want to use grams for the brown sugar and kosher salt, you would use 21 grams brown sugar and 18 grams of kosher salt.

That being said, use these measures and taste it. If you want it sweeter or less sweet, salty or less salty, adjust to your tastes. The measure that is critical is the Prague powder #1. It must be 3 grams (about 2 ml) per kilogram. The best thing about making your own bacon is getting it to taste the way you like it!

Last edited:
Reactions: zwiller
Thanks. When I googled ml to g a few sites said it was the same but I think that was about water. OK. 3% salt, that matches Marianski.

Thanks. When I googled ml to g a few sites said it was the same but I think that was about water. OK. 3% salt, that matches Marianski.
I messed up in my earlier conversions. I use 18 grams of salt for 15 ml not 30. You are right that most people use more (the 30 grams I originally quoted) but I like less salt in my bacon and I go to the low end.

I have edited my prior post to 18 grams too.

The results: 20 day cure, 1hr soak/desalinate, 4 day rest in fridge, 10hr cold smoke (70F ambient) half cob/half PM blend, 4 day rest. Sliced tonight for weekend breakfast and vac sealed some future use. Smells dang good. Fingers crossed. Thanks Disco!

20181012_180014.jpg

The results: 20 day cure, 1hr soak/desalinate, 4 day rest in fridge, 10hr cold smoke (70F ambient) half cob/half PM blend, 4 day rest. Sliced tonight for weekend breakfast and vac sealed some future use. Smells dang good. Fingers crossed. Thanks Disco!

View attachment 378123
You are more than welcome. However, if you would really like to show your gratitude, you could send me some!

Reactions: nimrod and zwiller
Exceptionally well done video Disco. Doing Bear's BBB now. Think I will try your double smoke next for a little variance.

Exceptionally well done video Disco. Doing Bear's BBB now. Think I will try your double smoke next for a little variance.
You won't be disappointed with Bear's bacon. It is the first I tried and it got me into making bacon it is so good.

Double smoking is a sore point around here. I like it but She Who Must Be Obeyed prefers single. Fortunately both are good and I just switch back and forward.

Disco,

Awesome video and extremely clear for someone who has never made it even knew you could make bacon outnof pork butts. They go on sale often here in Louisiana and so much cheaper than pork belly.
Now how would you describe the difference in taste between using shoulder vs belly?
Thanks and love your outdoor smoking setup!

Disco,

Awesome video and extremely clear for someone who has never made it even knew you could make bacon outnof pork butts. They go on sale often here in Louisiana and so much cheaper than pork belly.
Now how would you describe the difference in taste between using shoulder vs belly?
Thanks and love your outdoor smoking setup!
Belly bacon crisps up when you cook it. Buckboard bacon from the shoulder is a bit more like a thin slice of ham like Canadian bacon but unlike Canadian bacon, it has thicker fat streaks that do crisp up. I think you will love it. Thanks for the kind words!

Belly bacon crisps up when you cook it. Buckboard bacon from the shoulder is a bit more like a thin slice of ham like Canadian bacon but unlike Canadian bacon, it has thicker fat streaks that do crisp up. I think you will love it. Thanks for the kind words!

I gotta add to that:
I personally think BBB has more flavor, and I think it's because there is more meat & less fat than belly bacon.

Bear

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky