Done With Gassers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bakerman

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 19, 2011
Columbia Maryland
Last weekend I tried to smoke 2 butts on my Smoke Mountain gasser. Had the same problem I have had over the last few cooks. The flame kept going out. After the fourth attempt (3am), I just pulled the butts and put them in the oven @200. Went to bed disgusted.

Next morning I disassembled the regulator thinking a spider had gotten into the Venturi. Nope. Re-assembled and fired it up again. After 10 minutes quit burning. Once more ( I enjoy punishment), same deal. That’s it. After fighting with this smoker for 3 years I am officially DONE with gassers.

FWIW the oven cook was delicious, just not smoked.

So I am planting my flag in the charcoal burner camp. I ordered a WSM 22 yesterday. 6-8 weeks delivery, but I should be all set by the time that arrives. I looked at the Kamodo Joe Classic, and almost pulled the trigger, but the more I looked at it, the more I realized there was not enough room. The WSM had room to spare, cost less and to my mind worked just as well. I was going to get it from WalMart, but there was something really weird going on with the website. Plus yesterday mornings price and last nights price was $200 bucks higher! My wife contacted WalMart and they said they had been fielding calls all day about problems. I think they got hacked.

So I went to BBQ Guys website and ordered one. Now I sit smokeless, waiting for my Fathers Day gift to arrive. Rest assured I will be in here asking questions and seeking advice on modifications and additional info. Temp Control units and fans etc. A whole new area for me to explore

Last weekend I tried to smoke 2 butts on my Smoke Mountain gasser. Had the same problem I have had over the last few cooks. The flame kept going out. After the fourth attempt (3am), I just pulled the butts and put them in the oven @200. Went to bed disgusted.

Next morning I disassembled the regulator thinking a spider had gotten into the Venturi. Nope. Re-assembled and fired it up again. After 10 minutes quit burning. Once more ( I enjoy punishment), same deal. That’s it. After fighting with this smoker for 3 years I am officially DONE with gassers.

FWIW the oven cook was delicious, just not smoked.

So I am planting my flag in the charcoal burner camp. I ordered a WSM 22 yesterday. 6-8 weeks delivery, but I should be all set by the time that arrives. I looked at the Kamodo Joe Classic, and almost pulled the trigger, but the more I looked at it, the more I realized there was not enough room. The WSM had room to spare, cost less and to my mind worked just as well. I was going to get it from WalMart, but there was something really weird going on with the website. Plus yesterday mornings price and last nights price was $200 bucks higher! My wife contacted WalMart and they said they had been fielding calls all day about problems. I think they got hacked.

So I went to BBQ Guys website and ordered one. Now I sit smokeless, waiting for my Fathers Day gift to arrive. Rest assured I will be in here asking questions and seeking advice on modifications and additional info. Temp Control units and fans etc. A whole new area for me to explore
I ordered mine from from Amazon about a month ago and it only took them 5 days to get it to the house

Reactions: bakerman
WSM 22 is always a solid choice and will last you a lifetime if you treat it right. Plus it's highly moddable which can give you more space with expander rings or fine tune adjustments via controllers with fans.

Just curious about you gasser tho, how is your airflow because if you don't have sufficient airflow you won't maintain a flame.

Thanks for the reply. Air flow is not the issue. It is the one piece regulator junk hose the unit has. I had this problem with 2 smokers before and have reached the point were I don't want to fool with them anymore. For some reason it continues to quit after a few minutes. Last thing I smoked successfully was Tri Tip and that still had to be baby sat. Strange thing is the first cheap gasser I got never failed. But the metal used was so thin it couldn't stand the usage. The burner quit, it leaked badly, even after sealing the door. The door clasps were so cheap at the end I was using bungie cords to keep the door closed. The way this current model is constructed I would have to splice a new hose and I don't feel comfortable with that burning whilst I sleep. I am going to Craigslist it. Maybe someone with better skills can get it to work, I am not that guy.

After my first smoker (electric) fried a GFI circuit I went to gas. It never just went out, but any wind at all blew it out. I built a wind-break out of plywood, which helped a little.
After a year I gave up and went to an off-set stick burner and never looked back.
I still have the gasser but only use it with a mailbox for cold and warm smoking (with a small hotplate). Haven't had gas to it in years.
Good luck with that WSM. They're very popular.

I am going to Craigslist it. Maybe someone with better skills can get it to work, I am not that guy.
I did not care for my gasser at all. Messed around with regulator/hoses/other BS. I decided to try MES and there was no looking back! LOVE that thing (and AMNPS). No time to mess with charcoal... Good luck on CL or FB but I had to give mine away and it was like new.

I have a home made gas smoker. What I did was clip the ends off 4d nails and dropped them into the outer ring of jets on the burner. This increased the gas flow to 1/2 the jets so the flame is taller with about the same heat. Taller flame is much easier to keep lit if the wind blows.....and giver you a finer adjustment on the heat. Dunno if you can do this on your commercially made smoker though...

Well it looks like my wait time has just been extended another 3 weeks. So some time in September 2021. May have to see what other options I got before cancelling. Maybe WalMart can get it's act together and I can try again. This slow opening of the nation is messing up everything.

Well a quick check Lowes, WalMart, HD, even Weber don't have this available. Either sold out or not in stock. YIKES! Well I will be grilling this Summer I guess.

Last edited:
ZWILLER,

I got the same feeling. I looked at MES, but wanted a charcoal/stick burner without the offset.
I get that but not for me. Someday when maybe no kids and rentals :emoji_laughing: In the meantime check out FB Marketplace. Maybe find one used WSM or MES cheap for the summer. Around here used MES are like $50-$100. Pickup a AMNPS tray and your set.

Charcoal and wood for the win!! My gasser sat and rushed out after I got my first charcoal unit about 4 years ago. Flavor is so much better i never looked back.

Well unless one falls into place I will maintain my order with BBQGuys. At least I can cancel if another shows up. I'll keep looking. Thanks to you all for the support and suggestions. Love this forum.

I get that but not for me. Someday when maybe no kids and rentals :emoji_laughing: In the meantime check out FB Marketplace. Maybe find one used WSM or MES cheap for the summer. Around here used MES are like $50-$100. Pickup a AMNPS tray and your set.
Well there is one on Craigslist for $375 but it looks like it's 10 years old. I will wait for a new one.

I must be living right. I just found one on Craiglist for $340. Brand new in the box. It's about an hour away, but I am going to pick it up today after I get off work. Once I get it set up I will cancel the BBQ Guys order. Pretty happy right now. May even be smoking this weekend after a good seasoning.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky