Does it matter if I finish brisket in the oven?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meandmytwodogs

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
Beaver Lake/Plattsmouth, Nebraska
I'm doing my first whole Packers Cut Brisket (11.5 lbs) this weekend and was wondering if it made a diff if I finish it in the oven once it is foiled? I've searched and read several posts where someone said that they do finish theirs in the oven but still wanted to ask the specific question...Does it matter if I finish my brisket in the oven once it is foiled? I'm also throwing on a 9.5 lb butt! will eat to my hearts content and then seal up a bunch for an upcoming fishing trip in two weeks!
Thanks in advance for the help!

Dave

i am doing another brisket this weekend..........i ALWAYS finish up in the oven, once foiled..........saves on fuel in the smoker.........smoke can't get to it anyway, once its foiled

plus.........since i normally get a 10 lber, and its a 15 hour smoke.......a ALL NITER........i can get some sleep, using my mav. ET-73

Plague, pestalance, rockslides, 6.8 earthquakes, or higher, mudslides, Volcanic action, with confirmed lava flow, within 5 miles of your house, Tsunamis on the horizon, Category 5 Hurricanes bearing downon your abode, 40 miles an hour winds in conjuction with -32* weather, for a bone chillin -72* temperature, pack -o- wild hyeanas roaming your neighborhood that aint eaten in 2 weeks,Michael Jackson moondancin up your driveway, being serenaded by Janet Jackson singing Thriller, Al-Queda Operatives peeking over your fence and you distinctly detect your name in English through all that Farsi jibberish,, a squadron of Helecopters, all with night vision lights trained on your smokin site, and a voices that are echoing, in rapid succesion, through a bullhorn, at very loud decibles: PUT YOU HANDS UP, STEP AWAY FROM THE SMOKER AND NO-ONE WILL GET HURT, are on the SHORT list of reasons to finish what ya started, in the smoker .. anything short of that.... the oven is for pies

I'm just sayin'......................LOL
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

DAMN JOE! I'm giving you a point just for the tirade! Well spoken even if I have occasionaly stuck one in the oven myself. God I loved reading that!
Jimbo

Or, you run out of propane
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

I usually leave mine on the smoker (I use lump and wood only) so as long as I can keep my temps right the fires going anyway. But, once I foil It's only in there for the heat. I don't see anything wrong with puting it in the oven if thats what you want to do. - and it would make the house smell good
biggrin.gif

i REALLY dont understand.........once its in foil..........WHY use up fuel........specially in the hard times we are in.........makes NO sense to me........put it back in the smoker, just for the self satfiaction?
to turn your foil brownish?

specially if its going to be in there from 170 -200.......that could take couple hours, at least...so more fuel will need to be added...........

Just another piece of equipment used to bring a fine, delicious tasting piece of food to the table. I have a convection oven and it can cook a roast or chicken as good as anything.

Personally I would finish it off in the oven. It will not destroy flavor or taste.

Nothin wrong with finishin in the oven after ya wrapped em up in foil. After that point all yer doin is cookin in heat anyways, ifin yer usin a gas smoker, yer oven is the same thin with out a pan a chips er chunks. If yer usin anythin elese, still just generatin heat to cook it with. Use which ever heat source is the cheapest! Good luck on the smoke!

OK. I'll keep the brisket in the smoker at least as long as the butt is still smoking. That's a 9.5 lb'er so it will still get lots of time. At that point, I'll see how I feel after from tending the fire for that long. It's not that I'm affraid that I will be too tired, it kinda depends how much beer and whiskey I drink durring the first part of the smoke.
icon_evil.gif
I've got six bags of Royal Oak ready to go so I'm preppared for it no matter what I decide to do. LOL! I don't mean to start another debate......but I'm gonna SEAR it Smokin-Okie style too!
Chew on that!

Dave

As hot as it is down here, you are better off cooking outside. All using the O does is heat up the house even more.

All joking aside, I couldn't care less how anyone cooks.........but I ain't finishing it in the oven.........what starts outside stays outside.

I often finish in the oven after it is wrapped it makes zero difference except that i can get out of the heat and into the ac

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky