Does anyone grind their rub/spices?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johnnyt

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Yooper, Michigan
Johnny, morning and welcome to the forum..... You bet....  Fresh ground spice is better...... also try roasting them in a frying pan just a little to add another dimension to their flavor, then grind......     Dave

It depends on the rub recipe but I have used my Kitchenaid grinder to grind rub mixes before.  It does make for a very well mixed and even rub.  But there are some rubs that seem to work better in their "as is chunky" form IMO. 

This is the grinder I have and it's dedicated as a spice grinder even though Kitchenaid markets it as a coffee grinder.  I use a burr grinder for my coffee.

As Dave said Toast then grind any whole spice or herb.I have had to put my dark brown sugar in the blinder before when it gets to hard to break up with a fork this also works well. Welcome to the group also.

Ronnie G.

Thanks guys, and I would like to try to roast my next rub, what do you guys do? Just sauté in a pan? No butter or oil though right? Is there a certain color or texture to aim for? I know that is prolly dependent on spices being used, and sugar.

JT, I use med heat and just until you can smell the spice... the oils warm and volatilize .... that's where I stop..  Dave

I guess it all depends what you are doing?

Most times when I grind spices it is for sausage.

When I roast spices, I do it for them to be used immediately.

I make my favorite rubs up in bulk for future use, so I don't roast.

Others will have different methods.

Good luck and good smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky