Does altitude effect Time/Temp when smoking??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rwilli

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 8, 2018
Central New Mexico
Cooked another Brisket yesterday that yielded OK but not great results. Wrapped in Brown butcher paper at 160 degrees, I allowed the Briskett to cook untill 205 was reached. This is the third time I have tried to let a brisket get to the coveted 205 degrees and once again it cam out a little dry and too tender (Fall apart Tender). I have cooked briskets before with great results and the difference is that I pulled the brisket off of the smoker at 190 or 195 and let it rest. I am trying to figure out why 190-195 works for me, and 205-210 seems to be the target for most others. I am cooking at about 6000 feet elevation and was wondering if that had an effect on the cooking process.

Your wisdom is appreciated.

Bob

the higher in elevation the more air you may need to fuel the fire. Save temps on all fronts. Just more air to maintain. I adjust when I head up to over 8000 feet.

Don't get hung up on time or IT. These are guidelines that work across the board,YMMV. You get good results at 190-195, then that's what you go for. Two brisket cooked at the same time may be done at different times and temps...JJ

Reactions: rwilli
I fully agree with JJ.
Cooking temps and times, Internal temps and etc are variable guidelines.

I generally give cooking temps in 25° ranges, e.g. 225°-250° and such.
Briskets, butts and shoulder ITs are 195°-205° for temps to start probing tenderness.

And each piece of meat has the potential for significant variation.
As do weather and altitude upon time, temp.
Altitude has significant impact on meat's moisture retention, the higher you are the easier and faster it'll dry out.

I just had an injected Butt take nineteen hours, two hours plus per pound, and it was butter tender at 197° IT.
Normally for me a But averages 1.3hrs per lb, and probes tender at an IT of 203° +/- 2°.
Was it the injection, the fat content or what?

Had a brisket flat last week come out poorly, I did zero differently from my usual proven methods. It made good chile.

For me the biggest factor is my handheld digital thermometer, double duty, check IT and tenderness, the two biggest factors in perfectly done meats.

Last edited:
At your altitude I would think the biggest factor is how much faster your brisket loses moisture compared to somebody at sea level.
As to the effects of cooking temps, such as the breakdown of fats and collagen iwithin the meat fibers at high altitude?
Sorry, that doesn't fall within the scope of my knowledge base

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky