Do you ever stop feeling like a rookie.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
I been BBQ'ing and cooking for close to 40 years and I swear I still feel like a rookie sometimes. You never stop learning and there is so much to learn. I want to say Thanks to every. You all have been so much help and I have learned how to make so many dishes. Several dishes I did not even know existed until I seen it here.

Always learning but definitely not a rookie. If Tom Brady, Lebron and Albert Pujols are still learning their craft so can all of us. This site has been invaluable especially as I went from a kettle to a stick burner.

Reactions: Bearcarver
Totally agree. Before I joined, I had been smoking meats for 10 years or so, and had gotten bored with my results. Still addicted to it, but not thrilled. Once I joined here, and started reading all of y'all's recipes, ideas, methods, etc. it renewed my ambitions, not just smoking meats, but other recipes like desserts, etc. I'll be always grateful going forward. Also pass on as much info as I can to anyone asking anything I feel qualified to answer. Hoping to never stop learning. Stay safe all.

Yupper, been around smokers literally my whole life, this site has given me the confidence to pull the trigger on all kinds of things I didn’t know existed lol.
The one downside of this site is my budget, there are so many things on here I wanna try but budget and time constraints seem to limit it

I learned to smoke here at SMF, and how to apply the instincts to smoking I've developed over 40 years in the kitchen oven, stovetop, and backyard grill. I can now do butts, ribs, brisket, and poultry in my sleep. Still, learned a new trick recently with brisket that rocked my world.

Never did much baking, though. Rollers Amish bread opened the floodgates for me. Now, I'll bake all kinds of bread. Still don't bake desserts much, but not afraid to try.

Not much interested in complicated processes or recipes, but absolutely love big flavors and learning something new. Do so every week, so I guess that makes me a constant rookie. This week it was Hawaiian dinner rolls, homemade eggnog, and a cranberry orange sauce.

We usually buy Trader Joe's cranberry orange relish but weren't going to wait in line to get some. I actually kind of dislike cranberries but my wife loves them. I opened a can of whole cranberries, dumped them in a bowl, and added a diced tangy naval orange. Wow. So good.

I'll always be a rookie who loves to learn. Never met a recipe I wanted to try that couldn't change in some way.

Bar-B-Que as my Granny always pronounced it and wrote it.... is a journey, not a destination. Our mentors are important and often unexpected...., so choose them wisely.
LmwgXeS.jpg

I joined here to ask about sausage making . I was grilling and smoking on a Weber kettle long before the internet . The knowledge I gained for making sausage here is priceless to me . Curing meat is something I never even thought about . So that was a surprise and a huge plus .
My opinion is this , if someone takes the time to teach , and you try it , give credit where credit is due .

Every meal is a new opportunity to learn and perfect in my book! Like many have said I joined to be part of a forum, but I had no idea I would learn so much and improve my own abilities as well......Needless to say we have an awesome forum Here!!!!

I have been cooking some 50 years now. I started at my parents and Grandma's side. I went to Culinary School, worked for Years with top area Chefs, and knew next to Nothing about Smoking until I came here in 2011. I'm not what most would consider a Rookie, but not a day goes by that I don't learn something New from the folks here!...JJ

As JJ said, I learn something new on here everyday. And the best part is if you have a question to ask, nobody makes you feel stupid for asking, they just give honest answers & try to be as helpful as possible. That is what make this the best BBQ site on the internet. No big ego’s, just good info!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky