• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Do you ever stop feeling like a rookie.

BrianGSDTexoma

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 1, 2018
I been BBQ'ing and cooking for close to 40 years and I swear I still feel like a rookie sometimes. You never stop learning and there is so much to learn. I want to say Thanks to every. You all have been so much help and I have learned how to make so many dishes. Several dishes I did not even know existed until I seen it here.

shoebe

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Mar 15, 2014
I will second that. Started cooking when I was nine now I'm 64 and I learn stuff all the time from this site thank you

checkdude

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 1, 2016
Same here. If it wasn't for this site I most likely would not dare to try make sausage and smoke. So huge thanks to all for teaching me!

daspyknows

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jun 9, 2020
Always learning but definitely not a rookie. If Tom Brady, Lebron and Albert Pujols are still learning their craft so can all of us. This site has been invaluable especially as I went from a kettle to a stick burner.

Steve H

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
When you think you "know it all" then you stop learning. Love being here. And learning on a daily basis.

MJB05615

Master of the Pit
Joined May 12, 2018
Totally agree. Before I joined, I had been smoking meats for 10 years or so, and had gotten bored with my results. Still addicted to it, but not thrilled. Once I joined here, and started reading all of y'all's recipes, ideas, methods, etc. it renewed my ambitions, not just smoking meats, but other recipes like desserts, etc. I'll be always grateful going forward. Also pass on as much info as I can to anyone asking anything I feel qualified to answer. Hoping to never stop learning. Stay safe all.

JJS

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 17, 2019
Yupper, been around smokers literally my whole life, this site has given me the confidence to pull the trigger on all kinds of things I didn’t know existed lol.
The one downside of this site is my budget, there are so many things on here I wanna try but budget and time constraints seem to limit it

noboundaries

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 7, 2013
I learned to smoke here at SMF, and how to apply the instincts to smoking I've developed over 40 years in the kitchen oven, stovetop, and backyard grill. I can now do butts, ribs, brisket, and poultry in my sleep. Still, learned a new trick recently with brisket that rocked my world.

Never did much baking, though. Rollers Amish bread opened the floodgates for me. Now, I'll bake all kinds of bread. Still don't bake desserts much, but not afraid to try.

Not much interested in complicated processes or recipes, but absolutely love big flavors and learning something new. Do so every week, so I guess that makes me a constant rookie. This week it was Hawaiian dinner rolls, homemade eggnog, and a cranberry orange sauce.

We usually buy Trader Joe's cranberry orange relish but weren't going to wait in line to get some. I actually kind of dislike cranberries but my wife loves them. I opened a can of whole cranberries, dumped them in a bowl, and added a diced tangy naval orange. Wow. So good.

I'll always be a rookie who loves to learn. Never met a recipe I wanted to try that couldn't change in some way.

chopsaw

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
I joined here to ask about sausage making . I was grilling and smoking on a Weber kettle long before the internet . The knowledge I gained for making sausage here is priceless to me . Curing meat is something I never even thought about . So that was a surprise and a huge plus .
My opinion is this , if someone takes the time to teach , and you try it , give credit where credit is due .

civilsmoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 27, 2015
Every meal is a new opportunity to learn and perfect in my book! Like many have said I joined to be part of a forum, but I had no idea I would learn so much and improve my own abilities as well......Needless to say we have an awesome forum Here!!!!

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
I have been cooking some 50 years now. I started at my parents and Grandma's side. I went to Culinary School, worked for Years with top area Chefs, and knew next to Nothing about Smoking until I came here in 2011. I'm not what most would consider a Rookie, but not a day goes by that I don't learn something New from the folks here!...JJ

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
As JJ said, I learn something new on here everyday. And the best part is if you have a question to ask, nobody makes you feel stupid for asking, they just give honest answers & try to be as helpful as possible. That is what make this the best BBQ site on the internet. No big ego’s, just good info!
Al

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
This sight as said is just amazing. I don't think I have enough time left on this earth to do the bucket list built by this forum. Like many of you what a great experience it has been and the many people to meet.

Warren

Last edited:

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Thanks for the like MJB05615 it is appreciated.

Warren

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.