Featured Diy upright smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokingLad

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 8, 2020
20200730_141324.jpg
20200730_141332.jpg
20200730_145047.jpg
20200724_221116.jpg
20200724_221145.jpg
20200730_145105.jpg

Hi guys i am sharing my upright smoker made of steel drum. I am excited to try smoking bacon in here. Any thoughts?

Nice work, that will work out very nicely for you. What are you going to use for fuel lump charcoal or wood coals from a burn barrel? Or a mixture of both. A lot of the guys that smoke Salmon for a living use the stacked drums and horizontal drums and wood coals around the NorCal coast. They have a burn barrel that they burn logs down to coals and add a shovel full as needed. If I had a source for cheap hard wood I'd be using that method as well, it gives a super nice end product. I'm not really a fan or the minion method, I don't like the taste coals give off when they are start from unlit coals like they do using the minon method.
The best smoke there is comes from burned down hardwood its a nice smooth smoke flavor/profile.

Very nice....that'll definitely get the job done. I like the height of the smoker so you can get the meat hanging +5' above the flame. This is excellent for smoking bacon! Like!

Oh, and welcome to SMF!!!

Reactions: SmokingLad
Nice work, that will work out very nicely for you. What are you going to use for fuel lump charcoal or wood coals from a burn barrel? Or a mixture of both. A lot of the guys that smoke Salmon for a living use the stacked drums and horizontal drums and wood coals around the NorCal coast. They have a burn barrel that they burn logs down to coals and add a shovel full as needed. If I had a source for cheap hard wood I'd be using that method as well, it gives a super nice end product. I'm not really a fan or the minion method, I don't like the taste coals give off when they are start from unlit coals like they do using the minon method.
The best smoke there is comes from burned down hardwood its a nice smooth smoke flavor/profile.
I have here charcoal briquettes made of coconut husk.. and save some avocado, jack fruit and mimosa wood. But i am not still trying those wood on actual meat smoking

Very nice....that'll definitely get the job done. I like the height of the smoker so you can get the meat hanging +5' above the flame. This is excellent for smoking bacon! Like!

Oh, and welcome to SMF!!!
Thanks brother i am excited to try this tower on actuall meat smoking

Agree forktender... I too have a vertical smokehouse. I use hardwood coals in my smoker, but I moderate the heat with propane. Takes a very small flame from the propane, but I can dial the heat in +-3*F.

Hmmm...where in the tropics are you located? I have seen those briquettes made from coconut husks.
I am from the philippines.. sourcing apple wood or hickory might cost alot and time consuming waiting for my parcel to arrive thats why i am trying locally availble charcoal and wood

If you are going to cold smoke bacon, I highly recommend getting the Amazin smokin tube and use wood dust in it. Pack it in tight, you will get a very thin blue smoke that is optimal for cold smoking. The tube will work excellent in your smoker with the large volume it has. It will only raise the temp. inside the smokehouse about 5*F. It does not burn a lot of fuel wood dust so you will save a lot of money and get the most bang for the buck on your flavoring woods if you choose to buy them. Only need 300g of wood dust for a 12 hour burn.

If you are going to cold smoke bacon, I highly recommend getting the Amazin smokin tube and use wood dust in it. Pack it in tight, you will get a very thin blue smoke that is optimal for cold smoking. The tube will work excellent in your smoker with the large volume it has. It will only raise the temp. inside the smokehouse about 5*F. It does not burn a lot of fuel wood dust so you will save a lot of money and get the most bang for the buck on your flavoring woods if you choose to buy them. Only need 300g of wood dust for a 12 hour burn.
I am palnning to smoke it hot.. any advice?

How hot do you plan on smoking it?
I am not sure really its my first time to smoke bacon but watching some videos i like hot smoking than cold smoking is there any difference on the flavor between those two method

Nice work on the smoker build, that will be great for smoking any meats. cannot beat home made bacon.

I cold smoke my bacon for 8 hours or so, Rest overnight wrapped , then hot smoke until 145f. Gives a great flavour.

ive used the coconut husk briquettes a few times and they work really well.

Nice work on the smoker build, that will be great for smoking any meats. cannot beat home made bacon.

I cold smoke my bacon for 8 hours or so, Rest overnight wrapped , then hot smoke until 145f. Gives a great flavour.

ive used the coconut husk briquettes a few times and they work really well.
Thanks for sharing

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky