Dirt Track Saturday Night

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rmmurray

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Mar 21, 2015
Rock Hill, SC
Looking for a bit of normalcy, the wife and I took the family to dirt track about an hour north of us in Lincolnton, NC to watch her brother race. He started 8th and finished 2nd in 25 laps. Had a blast!

Attachments

• 3941C4EA-4F72-4FBA-8C73-B9B80F9BBC6C.jpeg
    3941C4EA-4F72-4FBA-8C73-B9B80F9BBC6C.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 62
Awesome

I wish I could go down to my local dirt track and watch some racing.

Was hoping to catch a few of them this year, until the virus came and messed everything up.

I guess you can pay to watch it on line. But racing at the track is a much better experience.

Hopefully next year it will be opened back up.

Reactions: rmmurray
Looking for a bit of normalcy, the wife and I took the family to dirt track about an hour north of us in Lincolnton, NC to watch her brother race. He started 8th and finished 2nd in 25 laps. Had a blast!
Looks like a great time. I’ve spent many nights at the “speed palace“ local dirt track. Lots of good national anthem standing Americans At the dirt track. Everyone stands and respects. God bless America! Disappointed in the current state.

Last edited:
I love all racin
Anything with a green flag and a checkered flag.. I'm in...

Back in 1983 a buddy of mine said he's been racing motocross at a local track on Sat. nights... asked me If I wanted to go.. I said (heck) YESSSSS ... MAN... he's cost me so much money (I wanna kick his (butt) every time I see him.. LOL)... cuz I haven't missed a weekend since... got two of my grandson into it... Traveled all up and down the east coast racing... Although we have been retired for about 5 years now.. I really miss it... We still go to all the big Pro races to watch ...

PS. My buddy (58 yo) still rides every weekend with his two grandsons ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ksblazer
Sweet. We went to one over the weekend. No masks worn but everyone kept there distance from each other.

Reactions: smokin peachey
I grew up going to the dirt track races with my parents most weekends, and started going again about 5 years ago. Nothing else quite like the excitement of racing, whether it's high powered super late models and sprint cars or watching amateurs do their best to battle it out. But I can't seem to get my kid interested -- nothing else attracts kids like video games do.

Nothing is better than a beer liberally sprinkled with tiny bits of Hoosier tire and dirt fragments. There’s a hard track in my town, and it’s not even worth the effort to go there.

(Go fast, turn left, and then turn a lot more right to keep it on the track!)

Way cool!
When I was a young man I raced dirt track motorcycles, on a half mile track.
Sliding through the corners with my steel shoe on!
Brings back good memories!
Al

Cool, Al, a real 'hot shoe'.... In '64 I was a member of the Mt. Baker Motorcycle Club... Worked all the races in the pits... It was a 1/4 mile flat track....
Do you remember Steve Baker ??? That was his home track... Hall of Fame racer....

Cool, Al, a real 'hot shoe'.... In '64 I was a member of the Mt. Baker Motorcycle Club... Worked all the races in the pits... It was a 1/4 mile flat track....
Do you remember Steve Baker ??? That was his home track... Hall of Fame racer....

The only guy I remember is Bart Markel, not sure of the spelling. But he was bad to the bone!!
Al

Only Famous driver from my area, that I can think of was "Eddie Sachs", of Allentown, PA:

His best finish being second in 1961. Leading the race with only three laps to go, he saw his right rear tire begin to delaminate and pitted, handing victory to A. J. Foyt. Sachs never regretted his decision not to gamble on the tire, saying, "I'd sooner finish second than be dead."

Bear

Only Famous driver from my area, that I can think of was "Eddie Sachs", of Allentown, PA:

His best finish being second in 1961. Leading the race with only three laps to go, he saw his right rear tire begin to delaminate and pitted, handing victory to A. J. Foyt. Sachs never regretted his decision not to gamble on the tire, saying, "I'd sooner finish second than be dead."

Bear
That really brings back memories! I was on a half mile track & coming out of the corner sliding, my engine blew up. It locked the back wheel up and I was going about 80 MPH at the time. I slammed into the wall & flew into the spectators. Luckily no one was hurt & at the time it really didn't seem like a big deal. But now thinking back on it, it scares the crap out of me!!
Al

that is really cool i would go to races but my wife cant stand loud noises (kinda makes me wonder why she hangs around me....) I'm glad you had a good time and got out of the house safely!

Happy Racing,
phatbac (Aaron)

Great stuff and stories from all the responses. I'm lucky enough to have Big Diamond speedway ("Racing in God's Country") almost in my back yard.

Was just a Williams Grove for the WoO's show a couple weeks ago. Love the races... Love them even more with a free admission!

Attachments

• 20200724_144823.jpg
    20200724_144823.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: smokin peachey
Great stuff and stories from all the responses. I'm lucky enough to have Big Diamond speedway ("Racing in God's Country") almost in my back yard.

Was just a Williams Grove for the WoO's show a couple weeks ago. Love the races... Love them even more with a free admission!

That dude passed out or sleeping?

Reactions: timstalltaletav
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky