Dino Short Ribs (beef)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

monstaroo

Original poster
Feb 2, 2016
Hey there smokers (no not you Canada!)
Last week I did some beef ribs for a friend and got some great results viewable here.

I cross posted those pictures to Facebook and my wife's coworkers saw the pictures. Predicable, I'm now smoking two ranks for their meeting or whatever they call it.

I'm doing it mostly the same, except having two racks in the smoker is going to affect temps. One is also a little smaller than the other, so that will make things interesting. Also I have to go to a court hearing today, so my dear wife will be taking over at some point! All very scary first world problems.

I decided to do the larger rack on the bottom to help shield the smaller rack. I got chamber probes on both racks to measure where it's warmer. I might switch their position.

So the basics are beef short ribs, 270°, mesquite and apple wood, rubbed last night with SPOG and a little white sugar. I was tempted to experiment with hot sauce or other spices, but I ran out of time last night. Planning on about 9 hours to get to 204° internal temp. Forgot to get weights and pictures before they went in.
20181018_070624.jpg
20181018_070629.jpg

Checked at about 3 hours. Moving along nicely. Pull back happening.

Meat in both racks is 172°. I found the top rank to be about 10° hotter than the bottom rack, so I did switch the racks so the bigger piece of meat is on top. Sprayed with apple cider vinegar. Forgot to take photos. Added more wood chips.

I'm off to court in Miami. Wife taking over the meat!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky