Diners, drive-ins and Dives

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokingUPnorth

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 7, 2017
Michigan UP
Just curious, the Diners, drive-Ins and dives is a show on the food channel I’ll watch every now and then. Guy Fieri makes all the places seems like they are amazing. I’ve never had a chance to try out any places the show has been to and was wondering if anyone has ever eaten at any of the restaurants the show has covered and can compare actual experience to the shows, as far as food and what not. If that makes any sense I like the show just wondering if the places are as legit as they come across

That's a great question! Curious to hear the responses.

Ryan

We went to the Squeeze Inn around Sacto, Fieri's #1 best burger joint at the time. Mediocre at best, never went back. He doesn't eat eggs, worthless for a breakfast recommendation. Watch his DDD all the time, none of the other crap. RAY

Reactions: sandyut
I have been to a few here in Texas, Minnesota and Wisconsin
TEXAS:
Pecan Lodge - Legit Texas BBQ, it lives up to his hype, but not the best BBQ in Texas, top 25 though
Cane Rosso - Pizza joint, been there a couple times and it is nothing too special
Twisted Root Burgers - He went to the original and it is pretty good. After the show they expanded, the one closest to me made it about 4 years. The one in DFW airport it terrible
MINNESOTA:
The Nook in St. Paul - Legit good!
Bryant-Lake Bowl- Eh... good but not special
WISCONSIN:
Franks Diner- Legit Diner and fits the show

- Jason

My wife and I once kept a list in my phone of places to try. That list is long gone with phone changes but there is a list by state online of the restaurants. Here are the few we've been to.

Squeeze Inn, Sacramento. Smash burger kind of place. Great fries and onion rings. Burgers better than average. Went once. We have a location close by but it isn't my type of burger.

Jamie's Bar and Grill, Sacramento. They served great steaks and sides. Went once. We would have gone again, but Jamie died and we haven'tbeen back.

Santa Cruz Diner, Santa Cruz, CA. We've been several times (family in the area). Great Diner food.

Aldo's Harbor Restaurant, Santa Cruz. Awesome food. Great location. We actually know the brother of the owner, but it is REALLY great Italian and seafood.

Monterey's Fish House, Monterey. Absolutely memorable in a good way.

More, but gotta go.

I've eaten at The Farmer's Shed in Lexington, SC. It was a "meat and 3" kind of place that served their own farm fresh produce. Just OK in my book, but they've been closed for about 5 years.

Also eaten at The Tattooed Moose in Charleston, SC. There's actually 2 locations in the area and I've been to both...sorta. The original location downtown has been moved to a bigger place, I've not been there, and I believe that it's original location added that something special to the experience. It was a true dive bar...a small, rustic, eclectic kind of place. But anyway, the Duck Club is fantastic as are the duck fat fries, but my favorite sandwich is the Porkstrami Reuben...

Reactions: GaryHibbert
We got on a kick of going to where Guy went when we traveled and nothing lived up to the hype. Probably went to a dozen places. Now the American Waygu burger at his restaurant in Branson Mo. was one of the best burgers I have ever eaten. On the other hand, we also went to a lot of the restaurants Adam Richman showed on man vs food, when he was the host, before he did the actual food challenge and they were all amazing. We never went to the restaurants where he did the challenge only the ones he visited before he did the challenge.

Never been to any of the DDD restaurants. But Judy & I thought it would be fun to get an RV & go from place to place visiting all the restaurants on the show. It would take a lifetime.
Al

Al let me suggest watching the first seasons of man v food with Adam Richmond and go to any of the ones he goes to before the restaurant he does the food challenge. Those were 100% on being excellent, and the reason we stopped doing the DDD restaurants.

Reactions: negolien
We tried a few can’t remember the names but IMO the bbq joints were the worst. Don’t know if im picky a better cook or a little of both. Whenever we went on vacation we would do the triple d trying to add to the experience. I won’t say it was bad just not impressed en to frequent if I were a local.

We ate at a burger place in old town San Diego, and sat at the bar. They had a DDD wall plaque and a couple of photos on the wall. The food was above average, but all the restaurants in this area are pretty good. The bartender said the filming was a real pain, and I think she said it took all day.

We went to Hillbilly Hotdog, great diversion during CV19. Hot dogs every witch way. Very unique tourist trap, collection of yard junk.

RG 20200731_144220.jpg 20200731_144124.jpg

Grind Burger Kitchen in Louisville, KY.

I was on a job and Yelped restaurants for lunch.
I didn’t realize it was a DDD place until I saw the pic on the wall.

It was a good burger.

There's a fantastic local breakfast/lunch place in our area that the owners have denied DDD requests to be on the show. The place is already packed daily and they did not want the additional exposure and suffer "The Fieri Curse" of not being able to meet demand caused by the show.

BTW, a Fieri chain restaurant opened near our house a few years ago. We went once. The food was sub-par and WAAAY over-priced. When asked if I wanted a Doggie bag for the leftovers, I made a rude comment like "he probably wouldn't eat it, either." The place went out of business.

Another Italian restaurant opened in its place. I never see many cars there. I have no idea how they stay in business.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky