• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

different woods

bigwalk

Fire Starter
Joined Jan 2, 2011
Hey guys,

Wondering what everybody's favorite wood for flavoring is. I tried apple the other day, but I really like a heavy smoke taste in my meat, so I used hickory the past several times i have smoked something. How do oak, pecan, and mesquite compare to hickory in terms of heavier smoke taste? Anybody have other recomendations?

les3176

Master of the Pit
Joined Feb 10, 2009
mesquite is a very heavy smoke i use it very sparingly and it has a distintive taste. oak is semi heavy good on chicken beef or pork,i don't think i would use it on fish myself.pecan is a lighter smoke good on most meats.My all time favorite is cherry...i use it on most everything and mix alot with it too.Its all a matter of personal taste i think.

bamaboy

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 26, 2010
I agree with les,also I like maple.very good flavor

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I'm kind of a hickory guy.

smokermark

Meat Mopper
Joined Nov 15, 2010
I've used several different woods. My personal preferences are pecan, almond, hickory, apricot, cherry and olive. I like guava for pork and chicken and have been using a little bit more maple lately in combination with other woods. And apple to some extent. Woods that I have but use less of are red oak, white oak, beech, grapefruit and alder.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.