Delayed Posting of New Year’s Day Pork & Kraut

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Delayed Posting of New Year’s Day Pork & Kraut

Being 100% Pennsylvania Dutch, I had to have my New Year’s Day Pork & Sauerkraut.
So we got Bear Jr & his wife Bethany up here to start the Year off right.

According to Mrs Bear, the Pork can’t be Smoked, and it’s the one meal of the year that she insists on making it in her Crock Pot. So that’s what happened, and we included some Mashed Taters too.
I only had a very small amount of Kraut, because the sodium in that stuff is really High!!!

Then for the next few nights, we had some Sammies made with leftover Pork & some of Jeff’s Tasty BBQ Sauce.

That’s pretty much all of it,

Bear

Two Thirds of this Pork Loin went to this Meal. The Thicker Right End:
IMG_4550.jpg

Into Mrs Bear's Crock Pot:
IMG_4571.jpg

The first piece being sliced up:
IMG_4574.jpg

The Kids are Ready to Eat:
IMG_4577.jpg

Bowl of Kraut:
IMG_4578.jpg

Pork is Ready too:
IMG_4579.jpg

Mashed Taters:
IMG_4580.jpg

Bear's First Helping:
IMG_4582.jpg

Some of Jeff's BBQ Sauce on a couple of Small Steak Rolls, with a bowl of Pork to fill them with:
IMG_4584.jpg

Next Night 2 Pork BBQs:
IMG_4585.jpg

Looks great Brother I never used a crock pot,I am sure that pork was super tender. now a question why so little kraut on your plate? Likes
Richie

I'd be mixing it all together and grabbing the biggest fork I could find !
Nice meal right there .

Looks Great We love that stuff too

Gary

Looks good Bear! Came out really good in the Instant Pot this year.

Happy Belated New Year.

Looks great Brother I never used a crock pot,I am sure that pork was super tender. now a question why so little kraut on your plate? Likes
Richie

Thank You Richie!!
Thanks to Agent Orange & an idiot Dr, I got Atherosclerosis, Congestive Heart Failure, CKD, and High BP, all of which need a Low Sodium Diet, and Kraut is not included in that Diet.

And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Thank You Richie!!
Thanks to Agent Orange & an idiot Dr, I got Atherosclerosis, Congestive Heart Failure, CKD, and High BP, all of which need a Low Sodium Diet, and Kraut is not included in that Diet.

And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

I will be going to the VA pretty soon I have some rashes starting I think from AO
Kraut is easy to make and you can control the salt.
Richie

Great meal one of our favorites too not just new years.
I know your low salt diet but I would of had some of that kraut on my sammie too.

Warren

Looks tasty John. You know you can Soak the Salt/Sodium out of Sauerkraut just like Bacon. A splash of AC Vinegar puts the Sour back in the cooked Kraut. Did it this way for the salt restricted folks in a Lancaster Nursing Home l worked for. I personally served our VIP, Mrs. KUNZLER herself, Matriarch of the Kunzler Meats empire...JJ

I know your low salt diet but I would of had some of that kraut on my sammie too.

Warren

Yeah, I've been getting nervous when my BP gets over 170/108.
That's even with 1200 mg of Labetalol per day.
That time I came home from my 28 days in the Hospital, I ate one can of soup, and Mrs Bear had to call an ambulance. They said the Sodium in that can of soup caused it, and I spent another 3 days there. And that was 7 years ago. It's a lot worse now than it was then. I just have to watch close what I eat.---Real close!

Bear

Looks good Bear! Came out really good in the Instant Pot this year.

Happy Belated New Year.

Thank You Xray!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Warren

Thank You Warren!!
My problems are a little more touchy, thanks to Agent Orange, so I had only a very small amount of Kraut. No big deal--Not one of my favorite foods.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Looks tasty John. You know you can Soak the Salt/Sodium out of Sauerkraut just like Bacon. A splash of AC Vinegar puts the Sour back in the cooked Kraut. Did it this way for the salt restricted folks in a Lancaster Nursing Home l worked for. I personally served our VIP, Mrs. KUNZLER herself, Matriarch of the Kunzler Meats empire...JJ

Yeah I read all about soaking it & then rinsing it, but I don't need it that much.
Mrs Bear likes it, but the only time I Miss it is with a couple Hot Dogs with Mustard & Kraut.

Bear

Reactions: HalfSmoked
That plate of pork, taters and gravy looks pretty good to me, but too much wasted space on your plate.

Thank You Martin!!
Yeah, I know---I've been watching My Bearish figure, with portion control, for awhile now.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky