• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Dehydrator Temperature

canadianjerky

Joined Aug 17, 2010
Hi,

So I'm sure this is brought up often, but I'll bring it up again for discussion.

I have been dehydrating in my Nesco dehydrator since Christmas.

I've finally got something that's working, but I want to keep tweaking. Of course, I want to keep things safe as well. 

Originally when I started I used the suggested safety heat of 160 degrees.. The jerky would finish fast, in about 3 hours but it remained crispy and tough.

I started to experiment with 20 minutes or so at 160 and then  dropping down to 140 for the remainder. The jerky got better.

Now I am wondering if I even need that time at 160? 

I use Flank Steak and will eat a pink flank steak, so I am trying to learn the difference when I do jerky.

Thanks

photohap

Fire Starter
Joined Jun 2, 2007
I use a dehydrator also.  When I am using a cure in my jerky recipe I usually set it about 140.  The key is to pull the jerky out at just the right time.  You don't want to cook the jerky, just dry it out.  Do a bend test, it should be tough to bend, but not at the point of cracking.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.