• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Deep fried turkey

aschmiesing

Fire Starter
Joined Nov 20, 2014
The family wants me to fry a turkey this year instead of smoking or trash can like I normally do. You guys have any recipes or pointers for me? Or should I ignore them and stick to what I normally do?

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I fried a turkey last TG Day & it was awesome.

I bought a Butterball electric turkey fryer and did a 17 lb. turkey in under an hour.

It was tender & juicy. Of course there was no smoke flavor.

But what the heck, give it a try & let them decide if they want fried or smoked next year.

Were doing smoked this year.

Al

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
Don't use sugar in your brine or in your run if you are going to fry. It will scorch the skin and you won't like it.

murraysmokin

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 14, 2015
Just did one 2 weekends ago. 3-3.5 min a lb. @ 350. Put the turkey in pot fill with water until turke is submerged, take the turkey out & mark the side of pan with a marker @ top of water. About 1 1/2 inches below that is your grease fill level. Dry the bird & generously coat outside & cavity with a cajun rub with out sugar as previously stated it will burn. I typically inject at this point with creole butter. Once oil is up to temp slowly put bird in oil then after 3 min a lb pull it up & check temp return to oil if it needs more or pull it & let it rest. The skin is so good perfect time for the chef to sample. Crazy good just wish the clean up wasnt such a p.i.t.a.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.