Deep fried turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

aschmiesing

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 20, 2014
The family wants me to fry a turkey this year instead of smoking or trash can like I normally do. You guys have any recipes or pointers for me? Or should I ignore them and stick to what I normally do?

I fried a turkey last TG Day & it was awesome.

I bought a Butterball electric turkey fryer and did a 17 lb. turkey in under an hour.

It was tender & juicy. Of course there was no smoke flavor.

But what the heck, give it a try & let them decide if they want fried or smoked next year.

Were doing smoked this year.

Al

Just did one 2 weekends ago. 3-3.5 min a lb. @ 350. Put the turkey in pot fill with water until turke is submerged, take the turkey out & mark the side of pan with a marker @ top of water. About 1 1/2 inches below that is your grease fill level. Dry the bird & generously coat outside & cavity with a cajun rub with out sugar as previously stated it will burn. I typically inject at this point with creole butter. Once oil is up to temp slowly put bird in oil then after 3 min a lb pull it up & check temp return to oil if it needs more or pull it & let it rest. The skin is so good perfect time for the chef to sample. Crazy good just wish the clean up wasnt such a p.i.t.a.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky