Deck Re-do @ The Bear Den

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
John , do you have a piece of off fall from the decking ? If so store it away , and if you need to clean some day you can use that as a test .

Looks great Bear! Jealous. My PT deck is showing some age. Next project is to redo the screws. They are coming up and are stripped from rust. Was not expecting that. Need to figure out how to do this the right way. I think I may just use a pry bar. How'd they do yours? Any thoughts on SS? I always remember the debates about fasteners...

Looks great Bear! Jealous. My PT deck is showing some age. Next project is to redo the screws. They are coming up and are stripped from rust. Was not expecting that. Need to figure out how to do this the right way. I think I may just use a pry bar. How'd they do yours? Any thoughts on SS? I always remember the debates about fasteners...

Thank You!
Hmmm, I never heard of anyone replacing the screws, unless there's only a few bad ones.
The screws are usually the hardest thing about replacing Deck boards. These guys unscrewed the ones that still worked.
Then they had a long handled Pry-Bar Thing, called a "Deck Buster", and it just ripped the board off, real easy. Then they cut the bad screws off with a Sawzall.

This composite Decking uses concealed fasteners, except the first & last board, and I believe the face-screws are SS Trim Screws with a matching color applied to them.

Bear

Last edited:
Reactions: zwiller
Zwiller , good chance your decking shrank up , which makes the screw look like it backed out . Try to drive it in farther . If stripped you can use a hacksaw to cut a slot and try to hand drive the screw deeper .

If thats a no go and you have access to underneath , use a sawzall to cut between the bottom of the decking and the joist . If it's tight use pliers to bend an angle in the blade . Remove the old head and drive a new screw .

Reactions: zwiller
Thanks gents. Let me clarify that the threads are stripped. Cannot drive in farther. I was shocked: thought it shrank too and was expect a 1-2 beer project tightening them and now... Funny, I first learned of the Deck Buster when researching.

Thank You Al !!
Hammock Yes!!!
But the Smoker stays on the front porch---Under Roof.
Dang "Spotted Lanternflies" are driving us nuts though !!!

Bear[/QUOTE]

Believe it or not but we have very few bugs down here where I live, they spray for mosquito's all the time & I think the rest of the bugs get eaten by all the little gecko's, and tree frogs running around. Once in a while when I'm trimming my banana trees I will get bit by a spider, but hardly ever get a mosquito bite. You would think that living down here I would be covered with bugs as soon as I went outside, but that is not the case.
Anyhow your deck looks terrific!
Al

Thank You Al !!
Hammock Yes!!!

Bear

Believe it or not but we have very few bugs down here where I live, they spray for mosquito's all the time & I think the rest of the bugs get eaten by all the little gecko's, and tree frogs running around. Once in a while when I'm trimming my banana trees I will get bit by a spider, but hardly ever get a mosquito bite. You would think that living down here I would be covered with bugs as soon as I went outside, but that is not the case.
Al[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot Al !!
Most places around here have Mosquitos, but for some reason I don't have any here. I think the Fish in my Son's pond eat the larva.
A few years ago Stink Bugs came here from Asia.
Now we got Spotted Lanternflies from Asia, and we're actually Quarantined because of them.
Linda kills about 20 every night. I keep telling her, "Only 26,000,000 to go!!"
Everything bad seems to come from Asia.

Bear

Last edited:
Thank You Al !!
Hammock Yes!!!

Bear

Al[/QUOTE]

Watch out for the DDT in the mosquito spray....hahahahah

Yeah Al , don't be riding your bike behind the bug man !

I haven't seen a mosquito spray truck since I was a Kid. We (kids) used to run through the fog when they sprayed, before we knew it was dangerous. In those days nobody had AC, and had windows open all Summer, and every time the Spray truck would come through, the fog would come right in the windows through the screens.
Mosquitoes were a lot worse back then than they are since they quit spraying.

Bear

Very nice! Now you have some excellent relaxation space while monitoring a smoker.
Ed

Thank You Eddie!!

Bear

Looks good, Bear! My back deck is falling apart and needs to be done before winter. But it is a multi-level, and more job than I can do myself. I had a guy drive his car through my wood fence into my backyard, and then he trashed the rear chain link fence. I have had the same problems with getting people to call back to repair that, so I'm not looking forward to the deck project. I will check out this Azek material, though.

Thanks MN,
Make sure you compare Distributors, because the one I got my AZEK from was more than $1000 cheaper than any of the others---Just for the Decking & Facia.

Bear

I haven't seen a mosquito spray truck since I was a Kid. We (kids) used to run through the fog when they sprayed, before we knew it was dangerous. In those days nobody had AC, and had windows open all Summer, and every time the Spray truck would come through, the fog would come right in the windows through the screens.
Mosquitoes were a lot worse back then than they are since they quit spraying.

Bear
Wow, you just described my childhood!

Dad never did believe in air conditioning, and when we sold the house in 2004 the realtor joked that it was the last house in Chicago without cooling. It was 100 degrees, and humid, the day we signed the papers. I figured we closed the book that day on the era of open windows and running through the DDT.

John , do you have a piece of off fall from the decking ? If so store it away , and if you need to clean some day you can use that as a test .

Thanks Rich!!
Yeah, I figured it pretty close, but I managed to save a half dozen pieces of decking between 2' and 3' long for reasons like that.
If I was going to build one again, I'd make it a couple inches less than 20'X 20' instead of 16' X 24' with two 45° angled corners.
That way I could get all 20 ft Deck Boards, and not have any Butt joints in the whole Deck!!!

As it was, I got 41 boards, each 20' long, and I ended up with 4 runs with no joints & all the rest had 1 Butt joint each (Planned Random).

Bear

Wow, you just described my childhood!

Dad never did believe in air conditioning, and when we sold the house in 2004 the realtor joked that it was the last house in Chicago without cooling. It was 100 degrees, and humid, the day we signed the papers. I figured we closed the book that day on the era of open windows and running through the DDT.

LOL---Exactly!!
My Dad never had AC, until my Mother passed, and he was on his last leg. Then my Brother put a window AC near his recliner. He finally said, "I should have had one of these years ago!!"
I'm the other way around---I never even took the screens that came with all my windows & doors out of their boxes!!!
I'm strictly AC, and refuse to open windows and let the Humidity in.

Bear

Yeah Al , don't be riding your bike behind the bug man !

LOL---I remember the Biologists that did the spraying used to go to the fields in back of the house, where there were some open ditches. They'd take long handle dippers to look close at samples of the gray-water from the ditches, and count the Larva. My Dad used to yell at them, "Hey don't drink that stuff---There's Sh1t in it !!!"

Bear

Ah yes, the days of the mosquito fogging. We'd run around in that cloud of DDT fog figuring that the mosquito's wouldn't be interested in us.:eek:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky