Deck Re-do @ The Bear Den

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Deck Re-do @ The Bear Den

I finally got my rotting decking & railing removed and replaced:
I’m doing a lot of these things lately to make things more maintenance free for me, and for Mrs Bear when I’m no longer around.

So——I personally built my Deck 16 years ago, after they changed the Pressure Treated from the old “Dangerous” type to the new “Useless” type.
That coupled with the fact that there doesn’t seem to be a Deck paint that lasts more than a year or 2 per coat, and your deck doesn’t stay nice very long.
When I built it, I had just gotten done building a few for other people in the area, so I pretty much knew what I was doing.
At that time the word was that the only composite, or manmade decking was not worth using, so my choices were limited.

So after 16 years, and many coats of lousy deck paint, I decided to get my decking & railing replaced with a composite decking.
I wanted to use the same stuff I used for my front porch, but that “Timbertech” was discontinued, and the closest decking available was “Azek”.
So I figured all the decking & Facia, and concealed fasteners I needed, and called around for pricing. I couldn’t believe the differences in pricing from one distributor to another. The place I ended up getting it from was a full $1000 cheaper than any of the others!!
Since Bear Jr acquired the railing for my front porch, I got him to do it again for me, so we figured what I needed, and he got the Trex Plastic Railings with Round Aluminum Balusters, and he picked the railing up & brought it here from Lowe’s.

Then since I can no longer do the work myself, I had to find somebody to do it, that I could trust to be able to do it right, for a fair price.
Since we don’t know anybody up here in Lehigh County, I got some recommendations from a local lumber yard, and made some calls.
After a few “no answers”, and a couple “no calls returned”, I settled on a guy who seemed like he could handle the job, and had done many of the same over the last few years.
He and his helper did a pretty good job, in a decent amount of time, as it was the only full week without rain we had all year.
They actually showed up every morning either on time, or early, which is unusual for most guys in the construction business around here.
Since I didn’t order any extra, I watched very closely that they didn’t screw anything up, because the materials are expensive & it takes days to get any replacement Deck or Facia for any screw-ups.

So they carefully removed all my old decking, railing, balusters, stair treads & risers.
All of the posts I had put up were in good shape, so all they had to do was move them from the outside of the Rim-Joists to the Inside.
And the Ledger, 2 X 10 Joists, and Double 2 X 12 Beams were in Great shape.
Then they applied the new decking with concealed fasteners on every Joist.
They had to add 2 extra stringers to the small stairs, because the Azek needs support spaces no more than 16” apart.
Then they put all the railing up, finished up a bunch of odds & ends, cleaned up, took a couple pictures, got their check, and were gone.

All in all I can say I was happy with their work.

Hope you like the Pics,

Bear

This is what my Old Deck Looked like, after 16 years:
IMG_2284.jpg

I took this Pic to show how weathered the Decking was getting.
Note: I didn't touch it the last 3 years, because I knew I was going to get New Decking & Railing:
IMG_2577.jpg

Here's all the Decking & Railing that was removed. Posts will be reused.
One of Bear Jr's Tower climber's will be taking this pile to his Deer Camp for use in Tree Stands:
IMG_2584.jpg

Structural members were all fine & ready for New Decking:
IMG_2583.jpg

New Decking all in place. Old Stairs still there for use while installing Decking:
IMG_2610.jpg

Moving Old Posts from outside to inside of the Rim Joist:
IMG_2614.jpg

Installing Post Sleeves & Railing Components. Also new Treads & Risers installed:
IMG_2616.jpg

All Finished--Pic #1:
IMG_2618.jpg

All Finished--Pic #2:
IMG_2620.jpg

All Finished Pic--#3:
IMG_2621.jpg

All Finished Pic--#4:
IMG_2622.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2623.jpg
    IMG_2623.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 7
Looks like they did a nice job , and a correct job . Nice choice on the colors too . Enjoy .

The job looks absolutely beautiful.

Also, it is great that you found someone who could do it. My house is slowly falling apart around me because I can't get anyone to do small jobs. As just one example, I have a 2x12x16 balcony support that needs replacement, but I can't lift a board that long and heavy to the second story by myself.

I'll be interested to hear from you how it looks in a year or two. You mentioned Trex, and I have seen decks done with that, and have very mixed feelings on how it weathers. I have not heard of Azek, but I'm going to look into that today because I have to replace a bunch of cedar 2x10 that are used around the edge of my spa as a seat, and it rots out about every ten years. Cedar is absurdly expensive, and I expect that replacement will cost me over $1,000 this time, just for twenty linear feet of material, so I am considering using something else, if I can get it in that width.

So thanks for your great post. Your wonderful result has inspired me to get going on my own project, and your material choice has given me a new option that I wasn't considering.

Excellent work! (...and composite is the only way to go - almost no maintenance).

I did the same many years ago, and all I need do each spring is a good pressure wash to get rid of the tree debris.

We’ve had our composite deck now for three years now and love it. The company we went with was Moisture Shield. The composite decking has made many advances in the last few years. The deck looks very nice Bear and you’ll get great use from it. Here’s mine:)
753322F0-CA06-4CD6-B969-993D38691B15.jpeg

Nice job. When we built our house 10 years ago we spec'd composite decking on all the exterior flooring and steps. I don't know the brand name, the builder picked it. After 10 years it is still in perfect shape and has retained its original color, as far as I can tell.

Nice deck John, I'm sure you'll enjoy many a night sitting outside enjoying that view.

Chris

The job looks absolutely beautiful.

Also, it is great that you found someone who could do it. My house is slowly falling apart around me because I can't get anyone to do small jobs. As just one example, I have a 2x12x16 balcony support that needs replacement, but I can't lift a board that long and heavy to the second story by myself.

I'll be interested to hear from you how it looks in a year or two. You mentioned Trex, and I have seen decks done with that, and have very mixed feelings on how it weathers. I have not heard of Azek, but I'm going to look into that today because I have to replace a bunch of cedar 2x10 that are used around the edge of my spa as a seat, and it rots out about every ten years. Cedar is absurdly expensive, and I expect that replacement will cost me over $1,000 this time, just for twenty linear feet of material, so I am considering using something else, if I can get it in that width.

So thanks for your great post. Your wonderful result has inspired me to get going on my own project, and your material choice has given me a new option that I wasn't considering.

Thank You John!
To clarify:
Back when I built the Deck, 16 years ago, they had Trex decking which everybody told me was Bad, so I used plain Pressure Treated, which was relatively new, and not near as good as the old Pressure Treated. The old, much better Pressure Treated became Illegal shortly before I built that deck.

This Deck is Azek, and the only thing I have that's "Trex" is the Railings. It's some type of Plastic, and most companies seem to have very similarly made railings.

And I know what you mean about "Heavy"; My 18 Wet Joists at 2" X 10" X 16', were heavy enough, but I had to get Bear Jr to help me flip my main beam over, after I screwed it together. It was 2 special order 2" X 12" X 18' Wet Pressure Treated screwed together to make one beam. Now I find it hard to believe I was able to do that stuff a mere 16 years ago!!

Bear

Bear, you have a beautiful home. The deck looks amazing. I’m sure that you will be enjoying that for many wonderful years. That deck needs to be christened with a big smoke!

George

Lookin' good Bear. I know what you're saying about calling around and leaving messages to have work done and no one has the courtesy to call you back..very annoying!

16 years ago, they had Trex decking which everybody told me was Bad,

Yup , the original Trex did not hold it's color . Had a bad mold problem and simply flaked apart . Most didn't last near what was promised .
The new products these days are PVC .

That came out great Bear. I will most likely have to do this to my deck in a couple of years. I hate to go with composite decking because the way my deck is situated it gets a lot of mildew and everyone of my neighbors that have composite decking fight spots from the mildew. I hope the new versions have fixed this problem.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky