Debating on a pellet grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Leonard114

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 4, 2017
Harpers ferry wv
Well my pap went and bought a bighorn pellet grill and doesn’t really know how to use it so I’m taking it for a few weeks to try it out and teach him how to use it. My problem is is that right now I have a gas/charcoal combo grill and a smoke vault 24” propane smoker and I feel I’m going to probably really start to love the pellet grill when I start using it. My question is will the pellet grill be an all in one and I won’t need any of my other grills or smokers? Will it do a better job than my propane smoke vault? And other than the occasional heating element are they pretty much worry free? Leaning toward a camp chef if I decide to get one thanks!

I can’t help you with the bighorn or camp chef specifically, but I have a GMG Daniel Boone I bought last year and love it. As far as being an all in one grill, IMO it can be, but I still like using a charcoal grill every now and then. It’ll definitely do a better job than your propane smoker. We use ours about 5-6x a week to cook on, whether it be meat, vegetables, desserts, you name it it’ll do it. I’ve had mine for a year and a month and have yet to replace anything on it or have any issues (Knock on wood). I try to remember when reading reviews or others opinions, you’re probably going to hear about everything that went bad with something, but you’ll rarely hear what was good or amazing about a product. I’ve heard great things about camp chef pellet grills, and I’ve heard terrible things. Same thing with my GMG. What I did was narrowed it down to several in my price range that were what I was looking for with size and features, then went and individually looked in person at those and chose mine based on what I saw in person

I can’t help you with the bighorn or camp chef specifically, but I have a GMG Daniel Boone I bought last year and love it. As far as being an all in one grill, IMO it can be, but I still like using a charcoal grill every now and then. It’ll definitely do a better job than your propane smoker. We use ours about 5-6x a week to cook on, whether it be meat, vegetables, desserts, you name it it’ll do it. I’ve had mine for a year and a month and have yet to replace anything on it or have any issues (Knock on wood). I try to remember when reading reviews or others opinions, you’re probably going to hear about everything that went bad with something, but you’ll rarely hear what was good or amazing about a product. I’ve heard great things about camp chef pellet grills, and I’ve heard terrible things. Same thing with my GMG. What I did was narrowed it down to several in my price range that were what I was looking for with size and features, then went and individually looked in person at those and chose mine based on what I saw in person
That helps a lot thank you!

My question is will the pellet grill be an all in one and I won’t need any of my other grills or smokers?

They're all-in-one for some folks but not for others. You can get a pretty good sear, but for high heat searing, many just like charcoal better. And while I love the food from my pellet grill, sometimes I enjoy food smoked with charcoal. And I still like gas for the quick start, plus the side burner for searing in cast iron.

You might consider the CampChef with the side burner. And I think in your price range, the Grilla is another pellet grill to check out.

Reactions: Jabiru
That
They're all-in-one for some folks but not for others. You can get a pretty good sear, but for high heat searing, many just like charcoal better. And while I love the food from my pellet grill, sometimes I enjoy food smoked with charcoal. And I still like gas for the quick start, plus the side burner for searing in cast iron.

You might consider the CampChef with the side burner. And I think in your price range, the Grilla is another pellet grill to check out.
Yeah idk if I would get rid of the charcoal/propane just for when I wanna do hot dogs or something real quick

A pellet grill is hard to beat for set and forget cooking. It will have a much lighter smoke profile than a charcoal or wood offset but a much better profile then any gas grill. I have a Timberline 1300 and a Kamado Joe Big Joe and for me they are the perfect combination for anything I want to cook. A pellet grill will not give you a good sear, I don't care what anyone says, unless you get one with an open flame pot design and then only over the actual fire area. If you decide you like the pellet grill then keep your gas grill for any fast and hot cooking, or searing you would like to do. All pellet grills are basically the same, a box full of pellets, an auger assembly to deliver the pellets to the flame pot and some type of controller, to tell the auger how many pellets to deliver. The huge difference in price between the grills is all about the quality of the parts, the thickness of the metals involved and the quality of the controller. I think you will like the grill after you use it for a while and will end up getting one for yourself.

A pellet grill is hard to beat for set and forget cooking. It will have a much lighter smoke profile than a charcoal or wood offset but a much better profile then any gas grill. I have a Timberline 1300 and a Kamado Joe Big Joe and for me they are the perfect combination for anything I want to cook. A pellet grill will not give you a good sear, I don't care what anyone says, unless you get one with an open flame pot design and then only over the actual fire area. If you decide you like the pellet grill then keep your gas grill for any fast and hot cooking, or searing you would like to do. All pellet grills are basically the same, a box full of pellets, an auger assembly to deliver the pellets to the flame pot and some type of controller, to tell the auger how many pellets to deliver. The huge difference in price between the grills is all about the quality of the parts, the thickness of the metals involved and the quality of the controller. I think you will like the grill after you use it for a while and will end up getting one for yourself.
Yeah I would say your probably right lol

Reactions: retfr8flyr
Well my pap went and bought a bighorn pellet grill and doesn’t really know how to use it so I’m taking it for a few weeks to try it out and teach him how to use it. My problem is is that right now I have a gas/charcoal combo grill and a smoke vault 24” propane smoker and I feel I’m going to probably really start to love the pellet grill when I start using it. My question is will the pellet grill be an all in one and I won’t need any of my other grills or smokers? Will it do a better job than my propane smoke vault? And other than the occasional heating element are they pretty much worry free? Leaning toward a camp chef if I decide to get one thanks!

All great postings and honest insights about the Pellet Grill experience... Just know, every Brand of Pellet Grill is different... I would suggest for Your first cook on the Bighorn Pellet Grill is don’t take any short cuts with the preparation and understanding of that pellet grill. Follow the instructions in the Owners Manual completely and allow the Big Horn Pellet Grill to preheat for 20-30 mins. before putting your meat on the grill. The Bighorn Pellet Grills don’t have PID Controllers, so preheating is very important. Preheating will help allow that brand of Pellet Grill to have more stable temps and not have wild temp swings. Low temps in the 180*-225* degree range equals more smoke flavor for your bbq and temps above 250* degrees equals less smoke flavor. I honestly wouldn’t base my pellet grill experience from what may happen on your first cook with the Bighorn Pellet Grill. I hope everything turns out great for You on your first cook with it... Many in the past have posted about difficulties and issues with the Bighorn brand pellet grill... and that’s not the True Pellet Grill experience. I know it’s your Dads pellet grill and it’s your first time cooking on it. The statement, You get what You pay for is very true. Again, follow the instructions step by step and allow the grill to preheat for 20-30mins. Don’t just Set it and Forget it with that grill and keep an eye on the temps. Again, I’m not trying to knock it, I’ve just read about to many unhappy experiences with that particular brand pellet grill. Good luck with your first cook on it and post back about your thoughts and outcome.

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi

Last edited:
All great postings and honest insights about the Pellet Grill experience... Just know, every Brand of Pellet Grill is different... I would suggest for Your first cook on the Bighorn Pellet Grill is don’t take any short cuts with the preparation and understanding of that pellet grill. Follow the instructions in the Owners Manual completely and allow the Big Horn Pellet Grill to preheat for 20-30 mins. before putting your meat on the grill. The Bighorn Pellet Grills don’t have PID Controllers, so preheating is very important. Preheating will help allow that brand of Pellet Grill to have more stable temps and not have wild temp swings. Low temps in the 180*-225* degree range equals more smoke flavor for your cook and temps above 250* degrees equals less smoke flavor. I honestly wouldn’t base my pellet grill experience from what may happen on your first cook with the Bighorn Pellet Grill. I hope everything turns out great for You on your first cook with it... Many in the past have posted about difficulties and issues with the Bighorn brand pellet grill... and that’s not the True Pellet Grill experience. I know it’s your Dads pellet grill and it’s your first time cooking on it. The statement, You get what You pay for is very true. Again, follow the instructions step by step and allow the grill to preheat for 20-30mins. Don’t just Set it and Forget it with that grill, keep an on eye on the temps. Again, I’m not trying to knock it, I’ve just read about to many unhappy experiences with that particular brand pellet grill. Good luck with your first cook on it and post back about your thoughts and outcome.

Pellet Pro Austin XL and a few more mods... in SoCal and Always... Semper Fi
Thank you! And what little I’ve messed with it I can tell there’s more to be desired from it lol

I got the camp chef woodwind sg with sear box and love it. It did come damaged but after talking to camp chef about it (they responded quick to email) they gave me a few options which made me happy. Good customer service. As for the grill, it's awesome. Everything I cook on it is amazing and nothing puts a better sear on a steak than that sear box!

what bregent says, we use our Gmg for most bbq, probably 4 out of 7 meals, when you get it worked out, you can get a great smoke profile that everyone enjoys, clean campfire taste, and hold great steady temps while doing other things. Very easy to turn out top bbq.

I reverse sear all our steaks, gmg at 180f till internal Is right, so easy, then sear over charcoal chimney.

. @180f I use about two handfuls of pellets for 8 hours cooking, very efficent.

Reactions: jake0531
what bregent says, we use our Gmg for most bbq, probably 4 out of 7 meals, when you get it worked out, you can get a great smoke profile that everyone enjoys, clean campfire taste, and hold great steady temps while doing other things. Very easy to turn out top bbq.

I reverse sear all our steaks, gmg at 180f till internal Is right, so easy, then sear over charcoal chimney.

. @180f I use about two handfuls of pellets for 8 hours cooking, very efficent.
Awesome thanks!

I’ll be looking for that thanks!
Just thought i would mention they have also released a PID controller that is retrofit for the older woodwind series, DLX models, and i believe the SG models as well. I just installed on on my DLX24 w/sear box and cannot be happier. Right now you can pick up the woodwind with pid and sear box on sale.

I will second what someone posted earlier about camp chef's customer service it was great. Initially my grill also arrived with some damage (150lbs package shipped from UT to WI ground). Camp chef was quick to respond to my concerns and after a little bit of trouble shooting they more than made up for my inconvenience. They sent some stuff for my trouble and now everything is working great! the PID controller is very steady 5-10 degree swings on temps vs 25 or more with non PID controller. and i have verified the temps with a MEATER+ as well as another probe laying on grate level. We like ours so much we purchased one for my mother for Christmas! i drove up early and set it up for them and they are loving it too. Easy to use. accurate temps. and exceptional customer service.

a quick note on the sear box. This add on can turn your pellet grill into the all in one option for many people. The sear box will get HOT and fast. I have used it to finish sous vide steaks, quick grilled chicken, hot dogs, burgers etc. its great for quick cooks where you dont want to wait for reverse sear or something when cooking quick options for kids. I have pictures using my laser themometer where the sear box will get over 900 degrees. comes with cast iron grates has worked flawlessly from day 1. the only thing i would mention about this is if you end up getting the sear box, order the front shelf becasue you will lose the shelf space on the right side of the grill after removing the shelf to install the sear box. the front shelf while costly at 75$ will save you head aches when carrying a platter out with meat on it and while taking things on and off the grill.

just my .02

Here are a few photos

Attachments

• 83CD0FFA-6D16-48F5-B938-0C5256512EDF.jpeg
    83CD0FFA-6D16-48F5-B938-0C5256512EDF.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 27
  • AB98B69B-C592-46F1-AC21-A496AD4FE81F.jpeg
    AB98B69B-C592-46F1-AC21-A496AD4FE81F.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 69AF19F0-F91C-433A-9C33-421A41E6DF2B.jpeg
    69AF19F0-F91C-433A-9C33-421A41E6DF2B.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 4872FA61-4663-4443-8D54-06FB8DFEF622.jpeg
    4872FA61-4663-4443-8D54-06FB8DFEF622.jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 40A86DFF-5DF6-4214-AF9B-9A7D2F637910.jpeg
    40A86DFF-5DF6-4214-AF9B-9A7D2F637910.jpeg
    131.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 188AFB69-C25C-4ED6-8BDE-FA37DC22BD63.png
    188AFB69-C25C-4ED6-8BDE-FA37DC22BD63.png
    103.8 KB · Views: 25
  • EC31FDD4-59D2-4340-915B-AFA09EAB6631.jpeg
    EC31FDD4-59D2-4340-915B-AFA09EAB6631.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 09C8BD38-A131-40B8-B6A8-17E01BFFD59A.png
    09C8BD38-A131-40B8-B6A8-17E01BFFD59A.png
    107.5 KB · Views: 24
There was a lot of talk in here earlier in the summer about PID vs non PID controllers.

It's interesting to see that more and more pellet grill manufacturers are going to PID controllers.

Just thought i would mention they have also released a PID controller that is retrofit for the older woodwind series, DLX models, and i believe the SG models as well. I just installed on on my DLX24 w/sear box and cannot be happier. Right now you can pick up the woodwind with pid and sear box on sale.

I will second what someone posted earlier about camp chef's customer service it was great. Initially my grill also arrived with some damage (150lbs package shipped from UT to WI ground). Camp chef was quick to respond to my concerns and after a little bit of trouble shooting they more than made up for my inconvenience. They sent some stuff for my trouble and now everything is working great! the PID controller is very steady 5-10 degree swings on temps vs 25 or more with non PID controller. and i have verified the temps with a MEATER+ as well as another probe laying on grate level. We like ours so much we purchased one for my mother for Christmas! i drove up early and set it up for them and they are loving it too. Easy to use. accurate temps. and exceptional customer service.

a quick note on the sear box. This add on can turn your pellet grill into the all in one option for many people. The sear box will get HOT and fast. I have used it to finish sous vide steaks, quick grilled chicken, hot dogs, burgers etc. its great for quick cooks where you dont want to wait for reverse sear or something when cooking quick options for kids. I have pictures using my laser themometer where the sear box will get over 900 degrees. comes with cast iron grates has worked flawlessly from day 1. the only thing i would mention about this is if you end up getting the sear box, order the front shelf becasue you will lose the shelf space on the right side of the grill after removing the shelf to install the sear box. the front shelf while costly at 75$ will save you head aches when carrying a platter out with meat on it and while taking things on and off the grill.

just my .02

My camp chef temp swings are insane. I'd be happy with 25 degrees but at a minimum mine swings at least 50-70 up and down and I've even seen it go over 100 in either direction also. Kind of sucks I may have to buy the PID controller just to tame it a little but it is what it is. Also I agree that the front shelf is a must but I ordered mine off QVC's website for $50 with free shipping.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky