Daytona 500

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I also used to be a whole lot more into it. When Smoke, Jr, Martin, Gordon, Carl Edwards, etc...and all the guys started retiring I kind of fell off. The stages suck and all of the rules, no rebel flags, no drivers burning cigs in a winston jacket in the infield. The fights after the races. Just not the same.

That being said I did watch the 500 and hoping to get into it a little more this year. Been to Bristol several times and do love the fact you can take a cooler full of beer into the stands and have a great time. The prayer and national anthem standing are also huge to me.

I hear ya! Having never been to a race… Was so hardcore into it in the early 2000’s… would watch/record all the practice runs and qualifying!

Wow, Bristol was always my number one destination if I was ever to go to a race! Especially the night race!

Well, back then in the early 2000’s Nicole and I were just married… couldn’t afford it!

Sure would like to go to a race, as said Bristol would be my first choice!

But would not be the same today without those you listed above…. Especially Mark Martin… that man is classy on the track and off!

Bristol's just not Bristol any more since they reconfigured it. With that being said...

Bristol is a BLAST !!! We camped there for the whole week (Mon.-Mon.) prior to raceday... Campground is so big they have 3/4 different concerts going on at the same time (take a golf cart)...

Leaving the Monday after...

motorhome.JPG

Something to think about... Seating ... Sure, At the start/finish line is usually preferred. But I find being that it's a fast short track you have to keep turning your head hard left and then hard right then left then right every lap... neck gets sore after a while... Also as your watching left in turns 3/4 you just missed the action down in 1/2 ...

So I prefer to sit right in the middle of turns 3/4 bout halfwayor a lil more up from the bottom... .. Everything is straight out in front of you.. plus you get front row seats for that last lap pass in 3/4 for the win...

View from our seats.. The fans were holding cards above their head in these pics

Fan Flag.JPG

bristol.jpg

Kyle is a straight up Sissy!

But the Sissy can drive ...

Bristol's just not Bristol any more since they reconfigured it. With that being said...

Bristol is a BLAST !!! We camped there for the whole week (Mon.-Mon.) prior to raceday... Campground is so big they have 3/4 different concerts going on at the same time (take a golf cart)...

Leaving the Monday after...

View attachment 658613

Something to think about... Seating ... Sure, At the start/finish line is usually preferred. But I find being that it's a fast short track you have to keep turning your head hard left and then hard right then left then right every lap... neck gets sore after a while... Also as your watching left in turns 3/4 you just missed the action down in 1/2 ...

So I prefer to sit right in the middle of turns 3/4 bout halfwayor a lil more up from the bottom... .. Everything is straight out in front of you.. plus you get front row seats for that last lap pass in 3/4 for the win...

View from our seats.. The fans were holding cards above their head in these pics

View attachment 658615

View attachment 658616

But the Sissy can drive ...
Cool pics!
Closest race I ever made it to was the Iowa Speedway... think they had truck race and... heck, what's it called? The Nationwide series? It was a good time anyways... even if I did hit a horse on the way, pulling a camper.

Ryan

Many years ago we camped in Daytona on the infield for the 500 every year. Camped for a bunch of the 400's as well but that can be quite warm.

I understand, I myself have never been to a street course, but I'd go if I was 20 minutes from it. I should go one of these years to get out of the crap weather here in the Chicago area.

I understand, I myself have never been to a street course, but I'd go if I was 20 minutes from it. I should go one of these years to get out of the crap weather here in the Chicago area.
You're closer than you think.The Cup series is racing downtown Chicago on July 2.

You're closer than you think.The Cup series is racing downtown Chicago on July 2.
Not a chance in hell do I go downtown anymore, never was big fan of downtown even when I was a kid. Way to much crime in that city. Plus, not a big fan of Nascar. Will I watch it? I may tune in for a few minutes. I wish they would come back to Joliet, both series.

Not a chance in hell do I go downtown anymore, never was big fan of downtown even when I was a kid. Way to much crime in that city. Plus, not a big fan of Nascar. Will I watch it? I may tune in for a few minutes. I wish they would come back to Joliet, both series.
Can't blame you for that especially if you're not a big fan.

Reactions: mfatty500
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky