Daytona 500

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I am just glad Kyle Busch didn’t win! When a driver being interviewed before the race is arrogant enough to say “It’s not if but when I win the Daytona 500!” Get over yourself man… my hope is you never win the Daytona 500!

I use to never miss a race! Loved it! Then it got more and more commercialized, Dale died and they kepy making more and more rules that took away from the actual racing! Sadly it just went downhill IMO! Cant say the last race I watched. I would on occasion watch a bristol, daytona or talledega, but that was when Dale jr still ran.

I use to never miss a race! Loved it! Then it got more and more commercialized, Dale died and they kepy making more and more rules that took away from the actual racing! Sadly it just went downhill IMO! Cant say the last race I watched. I would on occasion watch a bristol, daytona or talledega, but that was when Dale jr still ran.

I have to agree… Loved watching the old boys go at it! The way the Intimidator drove…. Awesome Bill from Dawsonville…. The Allison’s and Labonte’s!

I also really liked Mark Martin, I think he was a classy racer and person! He had a chance in one race to spin a guy out to win the race, he was asked about it after in the interview! He said, if I can’t pass the car ahead of me then I don’t deserve to win… then give a shout out to the winner! First class person IMO!

He was my favorite... Went with Clint Bowyer (as you can see in my avatar) after Mark retired...

Mark was a class act… more athletes should have the mentality he had! I liked Clint, great driver too… wished he had raced a bit longer! Have to say, he is a good commentator now… but would rather see him behind the wheel!

Reactions: Flatrate
I used to be a HUGE Nascar fan. Jack Roush, Davey Allison and Robert Yates are still my heroes to this day. I still watch but am not as faithful. The high light for me was to see Jaramie Mayfield ( what a turd he turned out to be) bump Dale for the win at Pocono. (He didn't mean to do it. :emoji_laughing: ) FOMOCO for the win!!

Always loved competitive motorsports.
NASCAR was fun back when it was actually production chassis, then production engines, then restrictors, then ...
Haven't been to drag racing in years.
I followed unlimited hydroplane for years and even got to a few races.
Now my only regular is truck & tractor pulls. 200 mph eh.
Watching a puller hit 30 mph dragging a 40,000# rock is exciting.
Watching a smoker, or listening to a Keith Black with Big Chief heads roar by!

Don't watch it like I used to... was busy working today so missed it. But far as I know it's the only sport where a prayer is still said and everyone stands for the National Anthem! Bonus points as far as I'm concerned!

Ryan

Sitting in the stands at the end of turn 4 at Talledega watching Dale win in 1999 was something to behold. He was the master of the draft. I was also in the stands to watch Cale in Hotlanta, and Waltrip in Nashville when I was a kid. I gotta say though, being at Gladeville watching the Craftsman trucks battle each other was pure awesome.

Don't watch it like I used to... was busy working today so missed it. But far as I know it's the only sport where a prayer is still said and everyone stands for the National Anthem! Bonus points as far as I'm concerned!

Ryan
Yep, that means a lot to me too!

Sitting in the stands at the end of turn 4 at Talledega watching Dale win in 1999 was something to behold. He was the master of the draft. I was also in the stands to watch Cale in Hotlanta, and Waltrip in Nashville when I was a kid. I gotta say though, being at Gladeville watching the Craftsman trucks battle each other was pure awesome.

Dale was a draft genius… I understood the normal draft but he also liked the side draft… he made any draft work to his advantage!

Awesome Bill from Dawsonville, in the Coors/ Melling #9 Thunderbird. What a run he had. Loved his brother Ernie the engine builder.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky