daube de ???

Discussion in 'Side Items' started by moikel, Jun 3, 2012.

1. moikel

moikel Master of the Pit OTBS Member

It was going to be bullfighters stew daube de taureau but I had a pork neck so I used that instead.I have played around with a traditional recipe from the Camargue in Southern France.Its pouring rain 3rd day in a row I am working out of town next week,if I  get this done I  can just reheat it when drive the 90 minutes back the 2 days .

So its 1 pork neck about 1.7 kg,cut into biggish chunks, a large onion,3 carrots,fresh thyme,2 bay leaves,sprig of rosemary, cinnamon stick,6 cloves,4 juniper berries, 4 cloves garlic,piece of prosciutto the bit of the end my deli sells cheap. 50g black olives,peel of 1 orange.A bottle of big bold red wine , fat glass chicken stock.

[​IMG]

2. moikel

moikel Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Season pork with salt ,cbp then fry in EVO until coloured.Remove .Fry onion,carrot ,prosciutto,garlic,until soft.Put meat & everything else back in.Pour in red wine ,stock then just leave it at a slow simmer until done.I will leave this for 24 hours then make decision about

whether it needs a roux to thicken it.

I was working off a recipe from Rick Stein that used beef chuck or blade,but then I went with pork I  changed a few other bits as well.[​IMG]  Certainly smells good.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. jrod62

jrod62 Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member

Looks good