Cutting butt into smaller pieces to smoke quicker??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ryanmn

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 20, 2017
Minneapolis
Has anyone tried cutting a 8-10# pork butt into smaller pieces of meat to speed up the smoke? I would think smaller, thinner pieces would cook quicker, plus more area for bark formation.

Yup, it works.  I have only cut in half thou.

Don't want to small of pieces.

Yup, it works.  I have only cut in half thou.

Don't want to small of pieces.

What do you consider "too small" and what is the consequence of too small?

How much time did dividing the meat save you in cook time?

What do you consider "too small" and what is the consequence of too small?

How much time did dividing the meat save you in cook time?
​You still need time in the smoker to get the good taste. 

You cut them down to 4-5 lb depending on what temps, 1 hour a lb to cook.

Sorry, I never time anything.

The last 3.5 lb butt I cooked at 275 still took 7 hrs no wrap
​That's 2 hours a lb, that's still normal.   I guess it depends on what type of smoker.   I use direct type.  UDS, WSM.  They rend to cook quicker.

I do it all the time. Cook time per pound at 225 is still about 2 hours but now you have 2 pound chunks....JJ

Google for the competition trimming method that exposes a lot of the money muscle and more surface area overall. It worked well for me as it kept the muscles intact but gave me more smoke penetration and bark.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky