Cutting Board Care

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

illini40

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 12, 2017
How does everyone clean and care for their wooden cutting boards?

I'm probably doing it all wrong, but I just hand wash it with a scouring sponge and air dry. Been doing it that way for years and I haven't died or lost a board.

Chris

I just re did an old one I've had for 30 years . I sanded it down and started from scratch . Sealed with food grade mineral oil . Then like Chris hand wash with hot soapy water and dry . Re coat as needed .

Reactions: kit s
Wash as indicated above. I put a good amount of mineral oil on it and let it stay overnight. The next morning I wipe the oil off and do the back side the sane way.

OK, so the front sounds pretty straight forward.
But for the back, what is the "sane" way? o_O
;):):D:p

Food grade mineral oil gets my vote.
Wooden cutting boards withstood the lab tests.
They proved to be more sanitary than plastics as they are self sanitizing.
I prefer wood.

LOL---I don't know---But whatever Mrs Bear does seems to work fine. I think all she does is wash it.
We don't use it all the time, but I know I made it in 10th Grade, and the surface is ALL End-grain. (Maple)
That means it's 55 years old.

Bear

I go with chopsaw and graywolf.....usely just regular dish water t o wash and then air dry. When it starts to look to dry, mineral oil, if it has a bunch cuts, saw marks, etc, sand wipe with tack cloth, and mineral oil.
Mine was made about 40 plus years ago from recycled bowling lane wood....and still looks pretty much the same as when I first started using it.

Crackin urself up again Sonny ?

Playing on peoples lack of editing skills.
My wife often uses speech-to-text for messaging, and gets what she deserves. Embarrassment.
"That's not what I said!" But she didn't read it before she sent it, either.

Sigh! Still love a wooden cutting board over the plastic mats.
End grain, rock maple makes the best. Not for the faint of wallet though.
Out of my league.

Are you talking end grain of face grail cutting boards? I only have end grain wood boards and I also just wash well and use food grade mineral oil. I like to put a little on and rub it all over with my fingers. This gives a good coat without a lot of excess oil. I let it sit over night and then wipe off any excess the next day. I do one side one night and the other side the next night, this keeps everything in balance and I don't have to worry about when I did a side.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky