Curing Salt and Jerky storage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sandyut

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2015
Colorado
hi all,

I bought Fiesta Curing Salt to use on my jerky. if you use curing salt if refrigeration needed for jerky? Or is refrigeration needed regardless? says to use 1 tsp per 5 lbs.

thank!

I bought Fiesta Curing Salt
Is that the stuff that comes with a shaker top ? I think it is . If it has a shaker top take it off and get rid of it so someone don't make the mistake of shaking it on their food . You measure it anyway , the shaker is NOT needed .
I fridge all my jerky .

Excellent info. I just made my first batch and contemplating on the fridge? It's the Traeger recipe for pepper jerky and it has a TBS of Morton Tender Quick, and they say to refrigerate and it will be good for several weeks. I won't last that long :)

TQ is somewhat similar in it prevents some of the worst bacteria from growing while the meat dries at temps that would allow rapid growth. BUT...TQ too has little effect on Spoilage bacteria, stuff that sours or rots meat even with the high salt content. The only way to get Shelf Stable Jerky is to remove enough Water that no type of bacteria can grow. This means Shoe Leather. Not brittle but cracks and splinters when bent in half...JJ

Reactions: drdon
So, what are some good guidelines for making beef jerky ? Some videos I've seen say to just keep it around 140-150 until it cracks.
Posts on here say it needs to get to 160 to be safe.
Planning a trip to Branson this weekend and I'm considering trying my hand at jerky for the drive from KC.

I'm using a WSM. Seems like it would make sense to try for around 180 for an hour then drop the temp until the jerky is done.

Last edited:
I fridge mine till gone. Keep it in a ziplock bag, partially opened 1/4 way to allow air in and out. Son kept bag closed and it eventually started to grow mold. Without bagging it, it seemed to loose flavor over time.

So, what are some good guidelines for making beef jerky ? Some videos I've seen say to just keep it around 140-150 until it cracks.
Posts on here say it needs to get to 160 to be safe.

There are several pathogens that attack food... Most will die at 140 ish... Some need 160 ish... To be safe, your jerky needs to come up to 160 ish to kill all of the pahogens...
Cure#1 kills botlism and has some effect on other pathogens..
Read this article...

MAKING SAFE JERKY IN A HOME DEHYDRATOR

I cure all my jerky.
I sent 80lbs to my son in Iraq, spray with potassium sorbate to keep the mold off.

I usually vac pack my jerky in small batches when finished and toss them in the freezer until I want them.

We slice ours about 1/8 inch. Then smoke and dry it, then it goes in small batches in the freezer as well. If thin and dried well enough you can still pull out a piece and eat it normally as there shouldn't be enough moisture to make them solid or freeze the pieces together.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky