Curing Brisket Point and Flat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dino Rib Man

Original poster
May 23, 2018
Evening all!

I started curing a brisket point and flat in a ziploc with 1 gallon of water and 1oz of sure cure. I am guessing that the meat was ~13lb going in. Is this within the safe level for sodium nitrite?

Thanks!
Tyler Reddington

I am guessing that the meat was ~13lb going in.
This is the problem. The answer will also be a guess.
If we go with you’re guess, you have a 185ppm equilibrium brine. Meaning after 14 days or more the meat would have as much as 185ppm nitrite. (Assuming you used cure #1)
1oz. Is 28 grams. That’s about 5 grams more cure than needed for the allowed 156ppm.

If the meat weight is less than you’re guess was, the ppm goes up, if weight was more the ppm goes down.

my guess is that you are ok. Next time use the equilibrium method and weigh everything. Then you know for sure.

Reactions: Dino Rib Man
This is the problem. The answer will also be a guess.
If we go with you’re guess, you have a 185ppm equilibrium brine. Meaning after 14 days or more the meat would have as much as 185ppm nitrite. (Assuming you used cure #1)
1oz. Is 28 grams. That’s about 5 grams more cure than needed for the allowed 156ppm.

If the meat weight is less than you’re guess was, the ppm goes up, if weight was more the ppm goes down.

my guess is that you are ok. Next time use the equilibrium method and weigh everything. Then you know for sure.

Thanks for the help Sir! Yes, cure #1 with 6.25% sodium nitrite (no nitrate). I had found a recipe that mimicked Pop’s, and I thought 1 oz for one gallon of water was the key to success. I did more reading after, and saw a lot of conflicting information. If I would have known more when I started, I would have approached it differently.. I am going to weigh the brisket when I remove it and get an idea. It was a 20lb brisket, but I trimmed a lot and separated the point and flat. Is 200ppm the max (that is what I had read)?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky