1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Cured turkey drumsticks

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by buzzy, Nov 8, 2018 at 10:55 AM.

1. buzzy

buzzy Smoking Fanatic

I’m interested in doing these. Did a search and only found 1 previous post by Foamheart. Like he said don’t want it to taste hammy. He got me headed in the right direction. Just cured a little. Just wandering if other have done this and what your process. Also does anyone pull the tendons out of the leg and do u do it before smoked or after???

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018 at 11:03 AM
  2. zwiller

zwiller Smoking Fanatic

I think Pops brine is a light cure and would encourage you to check it out. Have not done drums only but did whole turkey with it and it is what I wanted. Just learned of the tendon trick recently and plan to try it out but honestly smoked turkey is sooo good the tendons didn't bother me one bit. :)

3. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

4. buzzy

buzzy Smoking Fanatic

Thanks JJ. I didn’t know they were called Disney Turkey Legs. That would of saved a lot of time. I guess I need to get out more often. Now I can do more reading on it. Thanks again and that is lol

5. tallbm

tallbm Master of the Pit

I believe you found my post earlier today. One of the nice things about the approach I used was that it doesn't need for you to completely cure the turkey drumsticks.

The idea is to get some of that great cured flavor but no need to wait until the drums are 100% cured all the way through. The drums are cooked hot and fast so other than flavor the cure doesn't do anything for you lol.

Now if you planned to cold smoke or low heat cook the legs over hours and hours then I would recommend to fully cure the drums, but that isn't the case for the approach I took.

I plan to do the same thing with a whole turkey this thanksgiving. The tweak on my end is that I'm deboning the turkey before applying a cure and brine on it. I plan to make a Turkey Galantine where stuffing is in the middle of it. I will be cooking it hot and fast in the smoker and I want that cured flavor even though I don't need the bird to be cured for slow smoking safety purposes.

I should be running a test bird next week/weekend. I have a 22 pounder defrosting in the fridge since Sunday :)

6. buzzy

buzzy Smoking Fanatic

tallnm yes I did and that is the way I ll go. Won’t be able to hit those temps but can get to 275. My gasser make thick white smoke when going over that. I do smoke whole turkey for Thanksgiving with apple cider brine but never added cure. Will be interested in how yours turns out. Thanks again

7. zwiller

zwiller Smoking Fanatic

Careful if you are thinking adding sure to an apple cider brine. There is some debate whether cure will be negatively affected by the acidity. That reminds me I need to start a thread about that...

WRT to "quick curing" I do that for chicken drums. Works well. I add a small amount of cure to a dry rub and rest overnight. Would also work on wings. That said, I prefer the full cure flavor on turkey drums.

8. hondabbq

hondabbq Smoke Blower

What is the Tendon trick?

9. tallbm

tallbm Master of the Pit

Important info here. Poultry skin is like leather unless you can cook at a high enough temp. So you may want to smoke the turkey drums at a lower temp to get more smoke time on them and then finish them on a hot grill so you end up with edible skin.

I'm guessing you would want to pull the turkey drums when they hit an IT of about 140F and then on a very grill.
    At a true 275F the entire time I am 99% sure you will end up with leathery skin.

I hope this info helps! :)

10. buzzy

buzzy Smoking Fanatic

zwiller. I would like to see debate on cure in apple cider. Keep me posted. Thanks.

tallbm. Was thinking when they hit 150 just pull wood pan and jack up heat. That should work don’t u think. I know most won’t like this but we rarely eat the skin off poultry. I don’t try to make crisp skin but would like to on these to give to others. All help appreciated.

11. buzzy

buzzy Smoking Fanatic

Here ya go hondabbq

12. tallbm

tallbm Master of the Pit

I'm assuming your gasser can get pretty hot, if so then you should be good to go. I'm not in love with crispy skin I just want edible lol. Crispy is a bonus for me :)

13. hondabbq

hondabbq Smoke Blower

Thank you.

14. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member