cured breakfast sausage does a cured sausage have to be smoked or can you just freeze and properly cook before eating?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ljb

Original poster
Jun 19, 2022
does a cured sausage have to be smoked or can you just freeze and properly cook before eating?

Just curious, why would you want to cure breakfast sausage? It is typically a fresh sausage that is cooked fairly quickly so there really isn't a need to cure it.

Robert

Reactions: ljb and poacherjoe
I get this sausage at our local food lion in the Raleigh NC area. Its a semi dried breakfast sausage.
Pretty off the hook stuff. Been trying to copy it with no luck......:emoji_angry:

Attachments

• linksausage.jpg
    linksausage.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 14
does a cured sausage have to be smoked or can you just freeze and properly cook before eating?
Welcome from Colorado.
Everyone has you covered. There are fresh sausage recipes that I add cure #1 to just for that color and flavor. Do you care to share this recipe? Besides pictures we really like recipes.

Reactions: ljb
L ljb I do it for taste texture and color . Makes a great grilling sausage like I said . I add it to all chicken sausage . That's a tip I took from tropics tropics . Fantastic chicken Italian recipe .
Fully cooked , has a pink tint .
1655649042836.jpeg

AC Leggs bratwurst with cure one and pepper jack cheese added .
Cast iron grill pan . You can see the color .
1655649233547.jpeg

Both of the above were not smoked and spent time in the freezer .
So there isn't a reason not to do it , if that's what you want to do .

Went to the Bells farms web sight . Great looking sausage !

Last edited:
So there isn't a reason not to do it , if that's what you want to do .
Excellent point. I've never put cure into fresh sausage but as you noted, there's no reason not to if that's what you want to do. I kinda got the impression that the OP thought it needed to be done versus doing it because he wanted to do it.

Robert

There's something about the chicken Italian with cure added that makes it really good .

I just looked up the ingredients for Cracker barrel's breakfast sausage . It has sodium nitrite in the list .

You can freeze it and cook it any time you want.
Richie
Thank You Richie, I thought so I separated and froze not having the time for smoking. Whole reason for even maybe rushing this I found out that a person passed away and he was my go-to for sausage. It was a spur of the moment/motivation to doing this. Thanks for the reply LJB

I add cure to a lot of fresh sausage . Great for the grill .
I've made the fresh breakfast sausage before mainly wanted to use cure to see what the taste difference would be. Thanks for the reply LJB

Last edited:
Reactions: chopsaw
Just curious, why would you want to cure breakfast sausage? It is typically a fresh sausage that is cooked fairly quickly so there really isn't a need to cure it.

Robert
Mostly to see what the taste difference would be. I've made fresh Sausage before without cure. I guess the bottom line just experimenting. I knew the cure salt would change the taste but didn't know what it would do to the recipe. Thanks for the reply LJB

I get this sausage at our local food lion in the Raleigh NC area. Its a semi dried breakfast sausage.
Pretty off the hook stuff. Been trying to copy it with no luck......:emoji_angry:
Nice good luck, unfortunately 2 sausage people I know in my area have passed with the last one a week ago today so no more shiggin. (hanging around and peeping) with hopes of picking up on something. Thanks for the reply LJB

Robert
Maybe to get Awesome Flavor???
One of the first things I ever did in a Smoker (12 years ago) was to change Boring fresh Venison Sausage into Awesome Cured Venison Sausage.
The pictures are no longer there, But below are the links to the first 2 times I did it:
Changing Fresh Venison Sausage into "Cured & Smoked"
Venison Sausage Converted Part #2

Bear

Venison "Fresh" sausage: (Not cured or smoked)
DSC00717 2 copy.JPG

This is what Venison "Fresh" sausage looks like, if you then cure it & smoke it:
DSC00721 copy.JPG

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky