Cured And Dry Aged BBBB (W / Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Here ya go Bear. You were warned to be on the lookout for this. It's is all about carrying on your legacy sir, if in a totally different direction. I've never been accused of staying on the beaten path for very long though :-)

A couple months ago I did my first batch of Bear's Buckboard Bacon and it's almost to the point of being an obsession :emoji_wink: I absolutely love the stuff. Decided to give something different a try just to see what would happen and it turned out quite successfully. I thought it may be fun to try curing it then dry aging it in UMAi bags. I followed his tutorial exactly except for using Cure #2 instead of TQ for the cure. Seasonings were exactly the same. I used pork butt and let it cure for a week and a half, rinsed, soaked, applied the final coat of seasonings, then into the UMAi bags. It took about a month and a half to attain a 35% weight loss. Since both pieces of meat were very close to the same weight in the beginning, they hit the target weight within a day or two of each other. Here's what I wound up with:

Done aging and still in the UMAi bags
062.jpg

Out of the UMAi bags and cut in half. Lordy lordy,look at that coloring!! (4 pics)
063.jpg

064.jpg

065.jpg

066.jpg

All sliced up and the left-overs on a plate to chop into crumbles
067.jpg

Close up of the final slicing
068.jpg

It came out really, really well. The meat has a texture that's somewhat a combination of silk and cotton candy.....very smooth, somewhat delicate, and pretty much melts in your mouth just like artisan Italian cured meats. The flavor was just a tiny bit spicy from the pepper but subdued and pleasant. I'll make a couple of changes next time. First one is that I'll cold smoke it for 3 or 4 hours after it's cured and before going into the UMAi bags. The BBBB is smoked and mine is missing that element. The other thing I'll do is add some salt to the final application of spices. The BBBB is cured with TQ, which has a salty element but there's no salt in mine at all. Not a travesty by any means, just an observation to create a deeper and richer flavor for the next batch

Off the deep end in Lago,
Robert

"Looks delicious. Are you eating it as is or cooking it before eating it."

Certainly it could be cooked into a dish of some sort if you wanted but cooking is not required. It's done in the same manner as Pancetta, Lonzino, Bresaola, Capicola, and a myriad of other cured Italian meats. Those meats do not require cooking due to the curing process. I'll use this rolled up on appetizer plates along with cheese and crackers, on pizza, and maybe in an Alfredo sauce over pasta. I have several other cured and dry aged meats and it's not uncommon that I'll get some out and put together plates of it with smoked cheese, crackers, olives, fresh veggies, etc and that will be our dinner.

It's good stuff!!
Robert

So, it was just the buck board bacon recipe, but dried instead of smoked? just getting interested in drying, so excuse my ignorance.

"So, it was just the buck board bacon recipe, but dried instead of smoked? just getting interested in drying, so excuse my ignorance."

Kawboy....I appreciate the humbleness of your admission but the truth is that we are all ignorant. All that means is that there's something we don't know and nobody knows everything.....except maybe my wife (please don't tell her I said that:emoji_wink:). I'm strongly of the opinion that the only dumb question is the one you don't ask and believe me, I asked a LOT of questions from people here before indulging in this endeavor. Helping people and sharing information is what this group is all about.

To answer your question, yes. It is the exact same recipe that Bear posted in his tutorial insofar as seasonings go. The only difference is the use of Cure #2 instead of Morton's Tender Quick. TQ and Cure #1 are used in stuff like bacon, some sausages, and a bunch of other things that are going to be smoked and cooked at least to a degree. The Cure #2 is used in lieu of smoking or cooking and that happens during the aging process. I am by no means an expert but am happy to help in any way. Once you get past the first batch, it'll be Katy bar the door!!

Robert

"Nice Job, Robert !!
That stuff sure does look Pretty!!
Like.

Bear"

Thank you Bear!! I'm trying to make you proud....just in a bit of an oddball way this time. Honestly though, it was a worthy experiment with a tried-and-true recipe that that has become a staple for us. Thank you again for your contributions to SMF!!

Robert

"So, it was just the buck board bacon recipe, but dried instead of smoked? just getting interested in drying, so excuse my ignorance."

Kawboy....I appreciate the humbleness of your admission but the truth is that we are all ignorant. All that means is that there's something we don't know and nobody knows everything.....except maybe my wife (please don't tell her I said that:emoji_wink:). I'm strongly of the opinion that the only dumb question is the one you don't ask and believe me, I asked a LOT of questions from people here before indulging in this endeavor. Helping people and sharing information is what this group is all about.

To answer your question, yes. It is the exact same recipe that Bear posted in his tutorial insofar as seasonings go. The only difference is the use of Cure #2 instead of Morton's Tender Quick. TQ and Cure #1 are used in stuff like bacon, some sausages, and a bunch of other things that are going to be smoked and cooked at least to a degree. The Cure #2 is used in lieu of smoking or cooking and that happens during the aging process. I am by no means an expert but am happy to help in any way. Once you get past the first batch, it'll be Katy bar the door!!

Robert
Thanks for the response. What would this be called? Everything seems kind of similar. I was in a meat market in Pitt last weekend and felt like a kid in a candy store, I wanted to try everything! The group I was with was on the move though.

"Thanks for the response. What would this be called? Everything seems kind of similar. I was in a meat market in Pitt last weekend and felt like a kid in a candy store, I wanted to try everything! The group I was with was on the move though."

As far as I know, this has never been done before. Certainly there are a number of Italian meats that are similar but nothing I've seen with this flavor profile. I actually posted to the group before starting this to see if anybody had any input and did not get a single response. That is very unusual in this group so I must have been asking a very unusual question. I don't have a specific name for it and don't know that there's one out there. I guess we can call it Cured And Aged BBBB :emoji_blush: If you come up with anything creative to name it, please let me know. I'm really not worried about a name though as I know what it is in the fridge.

Nameless in Lago,
Robert

Reactions: kawboy
This looks absolutely amazing. That color is insane. I haven't done BBB yet just belly and CB but this looks so good I think its about time. Got a few butts in the freezer and they have been running $.99 on sale here lately. Points on that idea and that insane looking BBBB!

Quick question though..as far as running it through a meat slicker does it cut the same as belly bacon? Was just curious

"Quick question though..as far as running it through a meat slicker does it cut the same as belly bacon? Was just curious"

I've made this two ways. First was cured with Cure #1 then smoked. Same process as slab bacon. The second (this one) was cured with Cure #2 and dry aged...not smoked. The smoked version I sliced fairly thick as I would slab bacon and this batch was sliced paper thin. To answer your question, yes. They all slice identically. One thing that helps a lot is to have the meat cold when slicing. It is a bit firmer and slices somewhat cleaner. I just take each piece out of the fridge one at a time to slice so it's not sitting on the counter getting warm. The fat can get a bit gooey when it warms up but it still slices just fine.

Robert

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky