Cure #1 with turkey brine?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

azbohunter

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 23, 2013
Home is Glendale, AZ.
Thinking about brining a turkey for Christmas eve smoke and thinking about using the Slaughterhouse Recipe as follows, question is as anyone ever added Cure #1 to this? I have read that is gives a nice flavor to brined turkey. I have a 15# bird and was considering adding Cure #1 at rate of 1 T per gallon of water.
Slaughterhouse Poultry Brine By Tip Piper of Hillbilly Vittles
1 ½ Gal Water
½ C Salt - Kosher
½ C Dark Brown Sugar
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Onion Powder
2 tsp Cajun Spice (Louisiana Cajun Seasoning)
2 tsp Celery Seed

Thinking about brining a turkey for Christmas eve smoke and thinking about using the Slaughterhouse Recipe as follows, question is as anyone ever added Cure #1 to this? I have read that is gives a nice flavor to brined turkey. I have a 15# bird and was considering adding Cure #1 at rate of 1 T per gallon of water.
Slaughterhouse Poultry Brine By Tip Piper of Hillbilly Vittles
1 ½ Gal Water
½ C Salt - Kosher
½ C Dark Brown Sugar
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Onion Powder
2 tsp Cajun Spice (Louisiana Cajun Seasoning)
2 tsp Celery Seed

I just did Turkey Thighs using Pops brine it will work with what you want
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/cured-turkey-thighs-around-the-vortex-w-kiawe-wood.282105/
Richie

I do it with whole chicken using Pop's brine . Makes a great bird . Just FYI the longer time in the cure the pinker the meat . Some people have a hard time with that .
This was a chicken .
20180121_181546.jpg

i add cure #1 to all my brines. Figure it is an added food safety measure. Can't say I've ever noticed any change in flavor.

Reactions: chopsaw
Thanks for all the input! Gonna put together a batch of brine this evening and brine overnight then rinse, dry it good, apply some of Jeff's rub after a mix of EVO and butter and let it sit in the fridge for 24 hours, gives me something to think about while I'm fishing tomorrow with my grand daughter.
If any of the above is a "bad thing" please chime in. That is with the exception of the fishing, that is not negotiable.

When I brine poultry, I always include cure #1, but not enough to actually cure the meat. For the OP's recipe above I'd add 1 tsp of cure #1. It gives a very slight hammy flavor to the meat, which goes good with the smoke flavor. Non-meat smokers who eat it can't figure out why they love it so much.

The turkey with Slaughter House Brine and Cure #1 came out great. Being great grand parents, we have had a lot of turkey prepared in many different ways. My wife said it ranked at or very near the "best ever". Meat around the drumsticks and thighs was a little red but I assured everyone it was from the brine and that is was done. It was exceptionally moist and tender and would have to say I would certainly do it again. I mixed butter and Jeff's Original Rub together and loaded the breast under the skin and covered the entire bird with it before it went into the Smokin-It #3 at 250. I also basted it with the same butter/Jeff's Rub 3 or 4 times and the color was awesome. Took a total of 4 hours to get to 165 and because some family was late, I let the bird rest loosely covered with foil for about and hour. It was still plenty hot!
turkey.jpg

Reactions: noboundaries
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky