Curds!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
On the way home I stopped at Aldis in the hopes of finding my next batch of jerky. No luck. But I found a bag of cheese curds. Been wanting to do them.

P2180586.JPG

Using hickory pellets. I only let these go for 45 minutes because of the size of the curds.

P2180587.JPG

I tried a piece. And I'm glad I pulled them when I did. They came out pretty good. Never heard of "Happy Farms" cheese curds before. They have a nice dense texture with the telltale "squeak" when you bite into them.

Last edited:
Curds look great! Forgive me and hopefully I wont get kicked out for this but what is "smoky poutine"?

Poutine is a beef gravy with beef of some sort, chuck or brisket, and curds in it. Normally served over fries. Smoky poutine would used smoked curds......I guess. I never heard of smoky poutine before. Though poutine is awesome stuff. I get it at least once when I'm in Canada.

Reactions: Omnivore
On the way home I stopped at Aldis in the hopes of finding my next batch of jerky. No luck. But I found a bag of cheese curds. Been wanting to do them.

View attachment 432815

Using hickory pellets. I only let these go for 45 minutes because of the size of the curds.

View attachment 432816

I tried a piece. And I'm glad I pulled them when I did. They came out pretty good. Never heard of "Happy Farms" cheese curds before. They have a nice dense texture with the telltale "squeak" when you bite into them.
I bet those are tasty Steve!! I will be in Glendale WI for a meeting next week. On the way back I’ll hit Mars Cheese Castle for some curds and aged cheddar and whatever else their samples get me on LOL. Last time I hit it just right and they had white curds 75% off. I loaded up.

Curious if they need to mellow out like other smoked cheeses or if you can eat them right away.

I bet those are tasty Steve!! I will be in Glendale WI for a meeting next week. On the way back I’ll hit Mars Cheese Castle for some curds and aged cheddar and whatever else their samples get me on LOL. Last time I hit it just right and they had white curds 75% off. I loaded up.

Thanks! WI knows their cheese!

Curious if they need to mellow out like other smoked cheeses or if you can eat them right away.

I had a piece this morning and they are good to go. If I would have let them smoke any longer then they I did. Then it would have been a different story.

Reactions: Omnivore
We have a BBQ food truck that comes to our work once in a while. They have smoked brisket poutine. Haven't tried it yet but a number of people here have and said it was good...add smoked cheese to the mix and who knows how good it could be.

Reactions: Steve H
We have a dairy the does curds here after getting training from those that are in the know in Wisconsin....and they are awesome.

Just an FYI on the squeaky...you can throw them in the microwave for 30 seconds and they will be just like fresh "squeaky" curds....

John

Reactions: Steve H
Thanks all. I took about a pound of it to work. And it was gone by second break! It was a huge hit. Though, a couple thought the smell was too smokey until they tasted it.
Besides the poutine. I'm thinking about mac and cheese with a 50/50 blend with that and some sharp cheddar. Just thinking...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky