cue noob from the UK

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

britsmoke

Original poster
Jun 27, 2014
London, UK
Hi all,

My name is Omar, i'm a UK based (london) fan of the que. I'll be honest I can't cook to save my life apart from baking cakes and thats about it.

I was in Austin last week and went to Rudy's and the salt lick. I was amazed at the number of people at the lick, and want to try to learn how to cook beef brisket in the uk. I'm the only one in my family who sucks at cooking so desperately want to know how to get to grips with the art of smoking beef and chicken.

I would like to open a small stall here in London to sell brisket but only the true smoker way (like franklin). I don't want to use commercial machines etc... Not in it for the money - more a part time hobby.

I hope to learn lots from the forum.

Cheers

Omar.

Hi Omar and welcome! I'm relatively new here myself, but have been smoking great que for several years. Lots of great information on this site. First question: Do you have a smoker? I've been smoking on a Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker for awhile and it works very well. You'll want to start with something like this that has good temperature control and master the art before contemplating anything else. Another bit of advice: Add pulled pork to your list. Tasty stuff, that. :grilling_smilie:

Hey Omar, welcome to the forum. Sounds like a plan. You may want to start out with an inexpensive smoker to get the hang of it. Like Specificimpilse said add pork pork butt in as well. Pork butt is good to get started on very forgiving piece of meat. Best of luck, keep us posted and ask all the questions you need to.

Gary S

Hi SpecificImpulse,

I'm looking to buy a smoker and was looking at the one you suggested (we have a limited choice of smokers compared to the US). The specific model was the 37cm Black

The question I have is ... for a complete newbie, should I start with the webber or go straight for the long barrel smoker - like this one

My aim is to smoke a 8lb brisket as a test or could even go smaller (4lb) however have no idea if its better for a first timer to start with a smaller cut (4lb) ?

Also I am conscious about temp regulation and consistency, so am looking to get a good temp gauge and install it into the smoker myself.

Thanks for the advice :) Hopefully you chaps can pop over to london one day and try our spin on the texan classic brisket !

Lastly - I've been to a number of so called bbq joints in the UK and only a hand full (2 or 3 out of 20) make proper bbq food.

Hello and Welcome to our addiction.  Many good folk here with a load of experience that they are more than willing to share.  If you have specific questions just start a thread and someone with experience will be along soon to offer advice.  All info you can provide us with such as smoker type, location and so on will help us answer any questions you may have, and pictures help a bunch.  Spend some time doing some research on the forums, tons of advice and recipes already available there.  Check out Jeff’s 5 day smoking E-Course ( link below ) that will help you get started.  We look forward to your contributions.  Have fun.  Good luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

http://www.smoking-meat.com/smoking-basics-ecourse

Gents - many thanks for the suggestions and warm welcome form everyone. I will be starting my first smoking session in the next week. Will send pics to show finished product. My test guinea pigs will be the family so hope no one is in hospital for too long after they taste it ;)

Hey Omar

Welcome to the Smoking  forum.   You’ll find great , friendly people here, all more than willing to answer any question you may have.  Just ask and you’ll get about 10 different answers—all right.  LOL.   Don’t forget to post qviews.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky