Cuban Pork Loin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
Before I begin this post, I humbly apologize to every Cuban or person of Cuban heritage. I love this style of cooking but a lot of the ingredients are not available here in the Canadian Rockies. For example I noted some recipes call for a sour orange. Therefore, this is my homage to the style and flavour profile but is in no way authentic Cuban food. If you haven't had Cuban cuisine, seek it out. It is wonderful!

I had a nice chunk of pork loin that I had cut off a full loin I purchased to make back (Canadian) bacon. I decided to try and create a Cuban inspired dish.

I started by putting the following in my mortar and pestle:

2 cloves garlic
5 ml (1 tsp) Kosher salt
1 ml (1/4 tsp) cumin
2 ml (1/2 tsp) dried oregano
2 ml (1/2 tsp) ground coriander

I mashed them together into a paste.

I mixed the following together to dissolve the honey:

25 ml (2 tbsp) lime juice
15 ml (1 tbsp) lemon juice
15 ml (1 tbsp) honey
15 ml (1 tbsp) vegetable oil

Cuban Pork Loin 1.jpg

I had a nice 890 gram (2 pound) piece of pork with a 1/4 inch fat cap. I cut a diamond pattern through the fat. I really recommend you have a little fat cap on the pork loin. It helps keep it moist.

I rubbed the garlic paste into the slices.

Cuban Pork Loin 2.jpg

I put the pork in a plastic bag and added the lime juice mixture. I marinated in the fridge 8 hours to overnight.

I patted the excess moisture off the pork and put it in the fridge, uncovered, a couple of hours.

Cuban Pork Loin 3.jpg

I preheated my smoker to 375 F and smoked to an internal temperature of 155 F (I don't like pink in my pork). It took a little over an hour.

Cuban Pork Loin 4.jpg

I let it sit for 25 minutes and carved it.

Cuban Pork Loin 5.jpg
Cuban Pork Loin 6.jpg

The Verdict

This pork was incredibly moist. The citrus tang and seasoning blend gave a great taste that went perfectly with the pork. To my Cuban friends, thanks for the inspiration.

Disco

Disco,
Your post is providential.
You just gave me a reason to use my not yet here yet Mortor and Pestle I have coming.
I just decided I needed one to advance my dabbling in the kitchen.
So I ordered a set.

As far as authentic Cuban, I merely need talk to my next door neighbors, Lourdes and Frank Valladares.
They are First Generation Cuban descendants who moved here from Florida with their two Daughters.
Sometimes the aromas drifting over the fence make my tummy grumble, they smell so good.

Disco,
Your post is providential.
You just gave me a reason to use my not yet here yet Mortor and Pestle I have coming.
I just decided I needed one to advance my dabbling in the kitchen.
So I ordered a set.

As far as authentic Cuban, I merely need talk to my next door neighbors, Lourdes and Frank Valladares.
They are First Generation Cuban descendants who moved here from Florida with their two Daughters.
Sometimes the aromas drifting over the fence make my tummy grumble, they smell so good.
I love having friends from different culinary cultures! I learn so much from them. See if they will give you any recipes and post them. Pretty please!

Reactions: SonnyE
Okay Disco, c'mon man, out with it!
Ya made the pork, now where's the sammich?

Beautiful piece of pork you ended up with.
I bet it tastes and smells as good as it looks.
Like!
Thanks for the like. I would like to say the sandwiches were great but there were no leftovers from a dinner of pork, deli style coleslaw and spicy rice. Sigh. Better planning and a larger piece of pork will be required.

disco,that begs to be layered in a Cubano! Good Cuban bread is hard to come by though,unless you live in southern Florida..

Last edited by a moderator:
disco,that begs to be layered in a Cubano! Good Cuban bread is hard to come by though,unless you live in southern Florida..
Thanks! As for Cuban bread, I suspect it won't be available in our small city supermarket in the Canadian Rockies. I guess I better find a recipe!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks amazing!! I will have to try that. I do love using various cultures cooking styles and spice profiles in my smoking experiments. Often incorporate Indian or Jamaican influences. Will have to try the Cuban styles now.

Awesome smoke Disco, Not allot of Cuban food available around Northern VT - unfortunately.

Chris

Looks amazing!! I will have to try that. I do love using various cultures cooking styles and spice profiles in my smoking experiments. Often incorporate Indian or Jamaican influences. Will have to try the Cuban styles now.
A smoker after my own heart! So many foods, so little time!

Awesome smoke Disco, Not allot of Cuban food available around Northern VT - unfortunately.

Chris
Thanks, Chris. Canadians actually have experience with Cuban food. Many holiday there in the winter.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky