Cryovac getting puffy during wet aging

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bman1985

Original poster
Aug 27, 2018
So I've wet aged 3-4 briskets now for 45 days with no problems. I've got one in the fridge now that I'm planning to cook Friday. It'll be 60 days at that point. The cryovac plastic isn't punctured at all but it's starting to get air in it. Is this a problem ? I haven't had that happen before. I'd hate to waste good meat but I'd hate worse to make my friends sick.

Attachments

• 20180827_224059.jpg
    20180827_224059.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 59
I go by my nose first. I always trust my nose.

I always remember what my Pop said, "If there's a doubt, throw it out". I am not sure what I would do were I to hurt people with my cooking. Its just unimaginable.

Lastly, I have heard of wet aging, but never tried it and never had a problem with tender when cooked properly. Well there was this one prime rib roast but ...... I don't think anything could have helped it. Those competition cookers do a lot of stuff that only they swear by, leaving a brisket in the reefer for 2 months, might be pushing the envelope. But I have my questionable regime I did also. Go thru the butcher's stack of briskets wiggling 'em up over your head, like a big catfish. LOL You can draw a crowd... LOL

Smell it and see, then if you still have doubts, its your call.

Just checked, its 44... The fridge is in my garage so maybe it's not keeping up with the summer heat.

It's time to throw it out.... Super pasteurized meats can keep up to 3-4 weeks under proper refrigeration (34-38 F)... That cry-vac is full of bacteria and pathogens.. They don't do anything for preservation and quality....

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/how-long-can-i-keep-cryovac-meat-in-the-fridge.270958/

Q:
How Long Do Cryovac Meats Last?
A:
Quick Answer
If cryovac-packaged meat is kept in the refrigerator, then it is good for up to two weeks. Frozen cryovac-packaged meat remains good for up to a year.

Last edited:
And don't stand right over the meat when you open the bag!!
Damn right.

Once, when i was defrosting the chest freezer i put all the content in coolers. For some reason i missed a couple of vacpack bags from a smaller cooler when returning all the meat to the freezer. It took me more than a day to figure where the stench was coming from. Probably the worst i ever felt. And i was on "head duty" during military service when the facilities were clogged with days old food and human waste (had to keep my gas mask on for the whole time). Back to my rotting meats...didn't dare dumping it in the trash or compost can....took it to the city dump.

Yeah after seeing my fridge was on the warm end that explains the puffy bag !

I've wet aged before with no problems. Guess I can't do it in the summer with my garage fridge !
They explain the wet age process here for anyone unfamiliar
http://howtobbqright.com/blog/?p=1770

I kind of want to open the cryovac now. I fell like I'm missing out on a right of passage if I don't!

OPEN IT! Like a good Tequila story, every pitmaster has a Rotten Meat story...JJ

Reactions: bman1985
Since we're talking about Rotten Meat stories, I'll give you one. Nice ending too. I am landlord (blessing/curse) and one summer a tenant took off. No rent for month, not returning calls or mail, so I decide to pop in and find door unlocked with no power. Looks pretty empty. As I am cleaning up I check the fridge... I have real strong stomach and I am really gagging... Come back prepared with respirator but doesn't really help. Fridge was chock full of all sorts of frozen meats, shrimp/chicken/beef you name it for at least a month likely 2 in the middle of summer and no power. Brother says throw it away but I was determined to use it for homebrewing. Only took a few years to get the smell out. Got most of it out with an enzyme based cleaner but totally fine now.

Well, I punked out and threw it in the trash without opening the package. Mostly because I didn't want to have to scrub my trash can! Ended up making a fresh brisket and ribs and it all came out really well.

Attachments

• 20180831_153049.jpg
    20180831_153049.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 20180831_152545.jpg
    20180831_152545.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 34
Glad it wasn't wagyu!!! Yup as everyone has agreed chunk it. You may also might also think about chunking that fridge or repairing it.

Warren

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky