Creamy Cheese Grits and shrimp Question?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I use chicken broth/stock as my liquid when making grits. It adds more flavor imho.

Thank you G8trwood. I'm still undecided about the liquid, but since I live in VT. Cabot cheddar is the cheese of choice. It's from a batch of smoked cheese I did last year.

Appreciate it Keith, and that's a good explanation for grits. I think figuring out what liquid combination I'm going to use is going to be the hardest part.

Thanks Ringer, so no broth at all?

Chris

Cream can be mixed in with the cheese afterwards. Here’s how I make mine. They’re definitely a meal for sure.

Reactions: gmc2003 and TNJAKE
Cool and thank you xray. Nice write up also. It gives me something to follow when I make these.

Chris

Reactions: xray
Cool and thank you xray. Nice write up also. It gives me something to follow when I make these.

Chris

Shrimp and grits are an excellent meal and one you will surely enjoy! My post is pretty basic but make them how you feel is right.

Reactions: gmc2003
Shrimp and grits are an excellent meal and one you will surely enjoy! My post is pretty basic but make them how you feel is right.
Basic is what I need. If I like them then I can tweak them on the next batch. Thanks for the help.

Chris

Reactions: xray
Also one question that may sound a bit stupid. Are grits considered a main course or a side dish? I'm not even sure what they're supposed to taste like. Ok that's two newbie questions.

Grits are not what you can call every day food up here in the Alberta Foothills, but I love them.
What do they taste like? They're just like potatoes--they taste like whatever you put on them. I like mine with some added bacon grease and a goodly amount of chopped bacon mixed in for flavor, and a hefty slab of butter melted over them, served up with some easy over eggs. You can hear your arteries clogging up as you have breakfast. :emoji_tired_face: :emoji_laughing:
Gary

gmc2003 gmc2003 , I just use heavy cream and milk with mine since I add cheese to my grits for shrimp dishes. It's also fun to make em a bit thick then put them in the fridge on a sheet pan for a day, cut them I to squares and deep fry them. Crunchy outside and creamy inside.

I use a white wine cream garlic and bacon sauce with my shrimp.

Grits are not what you can call every day food up here in the Alberta Foothills, but I love them.
What do they taste like? They're just like potatoes--they taste like whatever you put on them. I like mine with some added bacon grease and a goodly amount of chopped bacon mixed in for flavor, and a hefty slab of butter melted over them, served up with some easy over eggs. You can hear your arteries clogging up as you have breakfast. :emoji_tired_face: :emoji_laughing:
Gary
Gary are you at least in the southern section of Alberta, because it sounds like you've got grits down pat. Yea I figured I wouldn't be seeing Marie Osmond plugging them for Nutrisystem anytime soon. Thanks for the tips. Yours sound wonderful.

BTW: They can't be any worse for you then a fatty
gmc2003 gmc2003 , I just use heavy cream and milk with mine since I add cheese to my grits for shrimp dishes. It's also fun to make em a bit thick then put them in the fridge on a sheet pan for a day, cut them I to squares and deep fry them. Crunchy outside and creamy inside.

Thanks Ringer, that sounds really good. Xray posted something similar in his post above. I may try the squares out if we have any leftover.

Chris

Yes sir we don't usually have leftovers but when we do we love then fried !
In bacon juice !!

Keith

I never liked grits due to a mouth feel deal, took my wife to a fancy Mother's Day breakfast a few years ago and tried the shrimp and grits with cheese, Holy moly I loved them, been afraid to try making them at home but really need to. Been southern all my life but grits weren't part of any meals

Since we are on the subject I'll go ahead and post my favorite way to do them. It's certainly not traditional Cajun or low country by any stretch of the imagination.

Ingredients:
Bacon
Shrimp
Lemon and zest
Garlic (fresh only) 4 cloves minced or to your liking
Shallots 2 minced
Green onion
Heavy cream
White wine (good) 1/2 cup or to your liking
Grits
Shredded white cheddar (shred from block)
Good shitake or crimini mushrooms (optional)

Grits: I use the 5 minute quaker oats Grits myself. Use heavy cream and milk for the liquid. Be sure to season them with salt and pepper. Once the Grits are done you can whisk in your shredded white cheddar. You can use 1/2 or the entire block. I just go by the directions on the pack.

Main dish:
Fry up a pack of your favorite bacon, reserve grease, do not clean pan.

Get said pan pretty screaming hot add some of the grease and your shrimp. Sautee for 2-3 minutes depending on size and don't over crowd the pan. When your shrimp are all done set them aside to rest while prepping the sauce.

Do not clean pan. Add more bacon drippings and heat to medium. Add shallots and garlic, Sautee until translucent, raise heat but don't burn the contents. Deglaze pan with white wine, add mushrooms if you like. Add lemon zest and juice from half of lemon if you like it more tart. Add 2 cups heavy cream and simmer for 10 minutes or so. Season to taste with salt and pepper

Chop the bacon, chip some green onion for garnish but it does add to the flavor. Add your shrimp to the sauce and simmer to warm them up for service.

Plate the grits and ladle the shrimp and sauce on top. Garnish with bacon and green onion.

Enjoy, my friend.

Reactions: bauchjw and gmc2003
Yes sir we don't usually have leftovers but when we do we love then fried !
In bacon juice !!

Keith
The next dayer's fried seem to be a common thread amongst grit eaters. I think I'll have to make some extra and join the club.

I never liked grits due to a mouth feel deal, took my wife to a fancy Mother's Day breakfast a few years ago and tried the shrimp and grits with cheese, Holy moly I loved them, been afraid to try making them at home but really need to. Been southern all my life but grits weren't part of any meals
That's like a New Englander not liking Maple Syrup. Oh wait that' me.

Chris

Since we are on the subject I'll go ahead and post my favorite way to do them. It's certainly not traditional Cajun or low country by any stretch of the imagination.

Ingredients:
Bacon
Shrimp
Lemon and zest
Garlic (fresh only) 4 cloves minced or to your liking
Shallots 2 minced
Green onion
Heavy cream
White wine (good) 1/2 cup or to your liking
Grits
Shredded white cheddar (shred from block)
Good shitake or crimini mushrooms (optional)

Grits: I use the 5 minute quaker oats Grits myself. Use heavy cream and milk for the liquid. Be sure to season them with salt and pepper. Once the Grits are done you can whisk in your shredded white cheddar. You can use 1/2 or the entire block. I just go by the directions on the pack.

Main dish:
Fry up a pack of your favorite bacon, reserve grease, do not clean pan.

Get said pan pretty screaming hot add some of the grease and your shrimp. Sautee for 2-3 minutes depending on size and don't over crowd the pan. When your shrimp are all done set them aside to rest while prepping the sauce.

Do not clean pan. Add more bacon drippings and heat to medium. Add shallots and garlic, Sautee until translucent, raise heat but don't burn the contents. Deglaze pan with white wine, add mushrooms if you like. Add lemon zest and juice from half of lemon if you like it more tart. Add 2 cups heavy cream and simmer for 10 minutes or so. Season to taste with salt and pepper

Chop the bacon, chip some green onion for garnish but it does add to the flavor. Add your shrimp to the sauce and simmer to warm them up for service.

Plate the grits and ladle the shrimp and sauce on top. Garnish with bacon and green onion.

Enjoy, my friend.
Sounds good Ringer, minus the schrooms. I hate schrooms. I'm glad all these recipe options are fairly similar. It makes it easier for my simple mind to make a final decision.

Chris

Did you take her where I told you to?

No something came up and didn't get to go, grand parenting is getting a little easier, grandson got DL and wife has stopped picking him/her up every day, also she is now working from home. lot of life changing events lol. Still lot of ot for me every day

Reactions: TNJAKE
Gary are you at least in the southern section of Alberta, because it sounds like you've got grits down pat. Yea I figured I wouldn't be seeing Marie Osmond plugging them for Nutrisystem anytime soon. Thanks for the tips. Yours sound wonderful.
BTW: They can't be any worse for you then a fatty
Chris
We're in the north central part of Alberta.
I spent a couple of years hauling produce out of the southern US, so I got to eat lots of good grits.
Gary

Blackened shrimp, a bit of bacon and tasso, light broth of chicken snd clam stock with a few shallots, garlic and red bell, slash of cream . Put sauce on plate first, cheese grits, and then the star, blackened shrimp. Sprinkle on bacon, tasso and smile

Blackened shrimp, a bit of bacon and tasso, light broth of chicken snd clam stock with a few shallots, garlic and red bell, slash of cream . Put sauce on plate first, cheese grits, and then the star, blackened shrimp. Sprinkle on bacon, tasso and smile
Appreciate the recipe G8trwood, but I have a couple of questions. Can you actually tell the difference between straight chicken stock, or a chicken and clam stock mixture(especially with the added cream)? I've been a cigarette smoker for the last 40+ years. So my taste buds are tuned very well anymore. Also since I live in Northern VT. Tasso may be a problem finding on short notice. Is there a substitute?
Chris,

This is the recipe I used last time. It uses 1.5 cups of chix broth and .25 cups of heavy cream.

Great recipe, just makes a lot of grits.

Shrimp and grits
Kevin that recipe looks scrumptious. Is there a difference between Charleston style grits and regular grits? For my first attempt I think I'm going to keep this attempt fairly simple to see if it's something I like. If I do then I'll start playing around with different variations.

Thanks guys.
Chris

Reactions: Kevin DeShazo
Probably can’t taste the difference. For Tasso, probably some diced and fried andouille.
I am not a big grits eater, except with blackened shrimp or fish. Nirvana

Chris, I dont believe this much difference, if at all.

Yeah if you cant get tasso, andouille works just fine, or any other smoked sausage of preference. Also jalapenos in your grits along with cheese, mmmmm

For the northerners who are asking what grits taste like, its the south's version of polenta, biggest difference is grind and white vs yellow corn.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky