Creamy Cheese Grits and shrimp Question?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
:emoji_blush: I'm not sure about you Chris, but I don't know what polenta tastes like either! Lol.
Looking forward to how you like yours!

Ryan

Reactions: gmc2003
:emoji_blush: I'm not sure about you Chris, but I don't know what polenta tastes like either! Lol.
Looking forward to how you like yours!

Ryan
Me either Ryan, I guess we lived sheltered lives.

Chris

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Chris, here's a thread I posted not quite a year ago. This is not necessarily a "basic" recipe, but it's pretty good. You may find some helpful info and if you have any questions, I'll be glad to answer them as best I can...

I used to hate grits. I tried them so many different ways as a breakfast dish, and I never could get used to them. Then, I had spicy cheese grits at a cajun restaurant, and I was a changed man!

I can't make mine nearly as good as theirs, but here's what I do:

I use regular grits. ("No self-respecting southerner uses instant grits." My Cousin Vinny)
1 part dry grits to 4 parts liquid. (I add chicken bouillon to my water.)
Heat water to boiling.
Stir in grits.
Reduce heat to low and cover.
Stir every 3 minutes until thickened. About 20 minutes. (It should be about as thick as oatmeal.)

That's my base. From there you can season however you want. About halfway through, I usually add black pepper, smoked paprika and some butter. Sometimes, I'll add Old Bay Seasoning. My last batch I added Texas Pete Sriracha, and it was amazing.

Then, add cheese to taste. I usually use smoked cheddar.

Good luck!

I used to hate grits. I tried them so many different ways as a breakfast dish, and I never could get used to them. Then, I had spicy cheese grits at a cajun restaurant, and I was a changed man!

I can't make mine nearly as good as theirs, but here's what I do:

I use regular grits. ("No self-respecting southerner uses instant grits." My Cousin Vinny)
1 part dry grits to 4 parts liquid. (I add chicken bouillon to my water.)
Heat water to boiling.
Stir in grits.
Reduce heat to low and cover.
Stir every 3 minutes until thickened. About 20 minutes. (It should be about as thick as oatmeal.)

That's my base. From there you can season however you want. About halfway through, I usually add black pepper, smoked paprika and some butter. Sometimes, I'll add Old Bay Seasoning. My last batch I added Texas Pete Sriracha, and it was amazing.

Then, add cheese to taste. I usually use smoked cheddar.

Good luck!

Well since I'm not a southern boy and instant were the only kind of grits I could find on the store shelves thats what I'm going with this time. A few folks posted links to were I can buy real grits online If I like these. Thanks for the tips on cooking them, and seasoning them. Appreciate it.
Don't forget to add some crumbled bacon or real bacon bits from the grocery. If you have some ham soup base that's good too.
The shrimp will be cooked in bacon grease so I'll be adding some bacon crumbles to the dish. No have ham soup base, so i'll be using a combo of chicken stock and heavy cream. Thanks for the advice.

Chris

Reactions: 912smoker
I'll be making the grits either tonight or tomorrow night. It all depends on when I get done babysitting my grandson this afternoon. I want to thank everyone in advance for the tips, tricks, advice and help. If I get the squirts the next morning then I'll be cussing ya'll out. LOL.

Finger crossed
Chris

I'll be making the grits either tonight or tomorrow night. It all depends on when I get done babysitting my grandson this afternoon. I want to thank everyone in advance for the tips, tricks, advice and help. If I get the squirts the next morning then I'll be cussing ya'll out. LOL.

Finger crossed
Chris
So...what was the verdict on your grits?

So...what was the verdict on your grits?

The verdict was outstanding. I made them with shrimp and scallops and the wife and I woofed them down.

Chris

Here's the thread on the final product.

Reactions: BilboBaggins
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky