Crazy Country Breakfast For Our U.S. Navy Guests (Lotsa Cool Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
My daughter, who is stationed in Norfolk aboard the USS Monterrey and her friend Evan, who she went to A-School (??) with and is stationed in San Diego, flew in Friday night for a few days. I guess the US Navy doesn't want the entire branch of the service shut down for the week of Christmas so they broke the leave time down and Courtney (my daughter) and her friend Evan drew the week of New Years. He'd never been to TX but has always wanted to come so Courtney asked if it was OK for him to join us. Of course it is!! We spent yesterday touring some of the world-class wineries in Fredericksburg, which is about 100 miles southwest of us. We load everybody into my big ol' crew cab truck and I drive. I'm not into wine so I assume that role so everybody else can enjoy the wine samplings and not have to worry about any problems. We made a full day of it and hit 4 of Tracy's favorite places. Glad I have a 3/4 ton truck to bring the bounty back!! Great God they loaded up!! Fast forward to this morning. Courtney and Evan are going to Courtney's mom's house for a belated Christmas dinner but I wanted to make a nice breakfast for everybody. She was enamored with some pics I showed her yesterday of a breakfast quiche I made so I decided to go that route. Here we go...for my 2nd SMF trip this morning :emoji_anguished:

Started by cutting up a bunch of stuff for home fries. Taters, red & yellow bell pepper, green onion, olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic
011.jpg

Breakfast sausage and bacon on the grill (both homemade)
012.jpg

Nice grill marks coming along on the bacon and sausgae. Whoda' thunk it??
013.jpg

014.jpg

All done
015.jpg

Grate a half pound of smoked extra sharp cheddar cheese
017.jpg

Home fries about done. Time to add the Ro Tel tomatoes with Habaneros
016.jpg

Ro Tel tomatoes added
018.jpg

Take a 9x9 baking dish, spray it with non-stick cooking spray (you MUST do this) then line it with burrito sized tortillas
019.jpg

Put the 4 sausage patties in
020.jpg

Add the home fries
021.jpg

Mix 6 eggs with a splash of milk then add 12 oz. of cottage cheese
022.jpg

Pour milk and cottage cheese mixture into the baking pan over top of the home fries
023.jpg

Top with the grated cheddar and a nice sprinkle of black pepper
024.jpg

Place the bacon on top that we grilled earlier
025.jpg

....and onto the grill
026.jpg

Getting happy, poofing up, and looking good. Grill running about 400* and it's gonna take about 40 minutes to cook
027.jpg

All done. Ready to slice and serve
028.jpg

My quarter of this monster. 2 pics from different angles. This just looks so good!!
029.jpg

032.jpg

Well...I'll say this was one really interesting but extremely good meal. It was also VERY filling!!Courtney was really impressed. She was thinking foo foo fancy yuppie food when she saw it just before going onto the grill. While eating it she said it was definitely a Texas style breakfast but with an interesting twist that was really cool. Courtney is big into physical fitness and eating healthy so I took that into account. I did the healthy version and grilled the bacon and sausage instead of frying it. Aren't I the thoughtful father?? :emoji_laughing: Seriously folks, this was really good and was not a huge problem to make. It took a few minutes to cut up all the stuff for the home fries but that's about the only thing that took any time at all. This one certainly goes onto the "to do again" list. the beauty of this is that you can use any combination of ingredients you want to create any flavor profile that you (and yours) will enjoy. I've probably used this concept about a dozen times, none have been the same, and all have been really good.

Well, I gotta go start thinking about dinner now. Have no idea what it's going to be but I'll address that after my much deserved post-breakfast nap :emoji_wink:

Y'all have a great day and see everybody soon,
Robert

Attachments

• 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 5
Looks real tasty Robert, nice cook! Please tell your daughter and her friend Thank You for their service!

That looks delicious! I will have to give this a try for sure... tell your daughter and her friend thank you for everything they do!

Yes , a big thanks to your daughter and Evan for their service. That breakfast looks fabulous.

That looks delicious, and since we will have breakfast for dinner sometimes, this is a perfect solution. Thanks for posting.

You most certainly can use this concept for dinner...with breakfast or dinner ingredients.A couple weeks ago I used this same concept to make turkey pot pies for dinner, and they were fantastic!! I used individual sized deep wall cast iron baking dishes for these. Same concept with the tortillas though

017.jpg

018.jpg

019.jpg

These has turkey, rice, assorted veggies that were lightly sauteed, and turkey gravy all mixed together, put into the dish, topped with cheese, and cooked on the grill. This is another one though that you can use any combination of ingredients you want and make it your own. Hope you decide to give these a run. they are easy to do and extremely good!!

Robert

Looks real tasty Robert, nice cook! Please tell your daughter and her friend Thank You for their service!

Thank you so much and I'll certainly do that. Both of my daughters are in the Navy. Both were also potentially headed the wrong direction several years ago but common sense prevailed and they joined the military. I could not be more proud!!

Robert

That looks delicious! I will have to give this a try for sure... tell your daughter and her friend thank you for everything they do!

Will do...and same response as to WaterinHoleBrew above. Very much appreciate the kind words about the meal and their service. I'll certainly pass it along when they get back later.

Robert

Familiar story....I fell into that same category, and it helped straighten me out pretty quick...

Looking back I am really glad I did it.

I was going down that wrong path as well...like a snowball headed for Hell. I tried to join, took all my tests, aced them all, and was ready to sign. That was right up till they found out that I had a DWI pending in the courts and I was half blind. Being that I wanted to get into Warrant Officer Flight Training that was a problem. Apparently the military has an aversion to blind people flying $30 million aircraft. I never could understand that :emoji_laughing: It only took me another 30 years to clean up the mess from that era of my life.

Learned a lot from the past though,
Robert

Awesome Looking Breakfast there, Robert, but it had to be, because Navy people know what good food is!! Your job would have been easier if you were feeding a couple of Us Old Army Types.
And Give them a Thank You from one of us Old Army Types!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

Reactions: Steve H
Awesome Looking Breakfast there, Robert, but it had to be, because Navy people know what good food is!! Your job would have been easier if you were feeding a couple of Us Old Army Types.
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

Make that 2 old grunts.....

Nice Job!

Make that 2 old grunts.....

Thanks so much to both of you, for the commentary and your service to our country. There is yet another aspect to my life that neither of you would have any way of knowing. My grandfather was in the Navy during WW II, my dad was an Army grunt, my daughters are both in the Navy. Absolutely no disrespect intended for any branch of the military, but I was raised in an Army household. Should either of you show up for a meal at my house, it would not be a basic breakfast. I'd be inclined to pull out all the stops and make a meal that was beyond words. I'm very proud of the military heritage within my family but having been born and raised Army, you would be recipients of the absolute best I could put together insofar as a meal goes.

Now to a different story, albeit brief. I have seen a HUGE turn-around in the mentality of the American public toward our military service personnel. It was like the ultimate reality check yesterday when we were touring the wineries with Courtney and Evan. I'm toying with the idea of doing a post reflecting my observations over the entire course of my life documenting what I've noticed. There are SOOOO many current and previous military personnel in this forum that I'm very much inclined to share my story but just not sure f it would be appropriate....but it is certainly positive!!

Wondering if I should,
Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky