Craving SOS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My mom made it for my dad a couple of times a month.
I thought it looked disgusting and never tried it.

One morning very early in my Army career, i got my eggs and potatoes as usual, and before i could ask for bacon or suasage, the cook spooned SOS over my whole plate.

What was a PV2 gonna do?

Well, i was hungry, gave it a try....

Wish i could find that cook and thank him for the favor!

Every breakfast in the Army, if they had SOS, i woukd get it.

Eat at the mess hall once or twice a year as a civilian, since i work on post. Always get SOS if they have it.

My mom made it for my dad a couple of times a month.
I thought it looked disgusting and never tried it.
Thus the conundrum of the childhood palate. . .My mom always chastised us for turning up our noses to dishes before actually trying them.

We learn as we grow that not everything is as disgusting as it looks. . .LOL

Neat story,

John

Last edited:
Had it all the time as kids . Dad wanted it , so that's what we had .
I love it . Used to eat it on buttered toast .
Always SOS , never chipped beef .
Had everything but milk
Been there more than once . Grabbed the NFDM from the sausage supplies .

Boy that sure brings back memories, when Judy & I were first married she would make that on toast all the time. After the kids grew up we went on to other things, but I sure would like a plate of it right now!
Al

I think one reason for some liking it & some not liking it is Most don't like "TRUE SOS" which is made with Ground Beef. I've had that & it Sucks!!! And it really looks like "S**t on a Shingle".
The other stuff is Not SOS---It is "Chipped Beef on Toast", and it's Great---Made with Dried Beef "Chipped".
In the Army we had the lousy stuff, made with Ground Beef.
At least I know they used Ground Beef at Ft Bragg, Ft Monmouth, Ft Dix, Ft Gordon, Ft Hood, Schofield Barracks, and Dong Tam, Vietnam. I can only vouch for those places, because I was there.
In most non-Military establishments they use Dried Beef (Including my house).

Bear

I think one reason for some liking it & some not liking it is Most don't like "TRUE SOS" which is made with Ground Beef. I've had that & it Sucks!!! And it really looks like "S**t on a Shingle".
The other stuff is Not SOS---It is "Chipped Beef on Toast", and it's Great---Made with Dried Beef "Chipped".
In the Army we had the lousy stuff, made with Ground Beef.
At least I know they used Ground Beef at Ft Bragg, Ft Monmouth, Ft Dix, Ft Gordon, Ft Hood, Schofield Barracks, and Dong Tam, Vietnam. I can only vouch for those places, because I was there.
In most non-Military establishments they use Dried Beef (Including my house).

Bear
you know what they say about opinions.....

Like it, don't like it....

Don't care, not trying to convince anyone they have to like it.

I happen to like it!.

Reactions: DanMcG
Boy that sure brings back memories, when Judy & I were first married she would make that on toast all the time. After the kids grew up we went on to other things, but I sure would like a plate of it right now!
Al
When i don't have fried potatoes, i use dark toasted english muffins instead of toast or biscuits.

Pretty good in my opinion.

BTW: I forgot to mention, "We have it about Twice a month", but ours is always made with Dried Beef (Chipped).
And our extended family used to have a Big get together at about 10 AM, Every Christmas morning at my Brother Jim's house (RIP).
His wife Darlene used to keep 2 Frying pans going for Seconds & Thirds. It helped that her Sister's Husband was the owner of "Knauss' Dried Beef", the largest Dried Beef producer on the East Coast. Everybody Loved It !!

Bear

Reactions: crazymoon
This is funny to me. We have names for SOS over mashed potato and call it Shepherds Pie. Seems kinda weird to call it SOS but not on toast. I never cared for it. Dad did it with chipped beef over BURNT toast, preferable the ends. On my to do list is to make some of Bear's dried beef for him. I also find it weird to crave winter food during summer. :emoji_laughing: In all seriousness, I bet a liberal amount of fresh ground white pepper and a hit of accent would take GB SOS to another level.

Sorry guys. But what is sos?

True SOS (Shoot on a Shingle) is made with Ground Beef, Milk, Flour, etc. And poured over Toast or a number of other things.
The edible stuff is actually called "Chipped Beef on Toast" and has Dried Beef in it, as a Substitute.

Bear

This is the SOS, made with Ground Beef:
image.jpeg

This is "Creamed Chipped Beef", made with Dried Beef: (AWESOME!!!)

1973166.jpg

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky