• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Chuck Top Blade Roast-Help Requested

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Charlene G

Fire Starter
Joined
May 5, 2018
Messages
32
Reaction score
48
Location
Calgary Alberta
Good Afternoon Everyone:
I purchased a Chuck Top Blade roast from Costco today. I have dry brined it and injected a marinade into it. I wanted to put it in my MES tomorrow, but I am looking for your expert help.
At what temperature should the smoker be for a low and slow cook, and what should the internal temperature be when I pull it and wrap it. My intension is the slice it when cold for french/beef dip sandwiches.
I know to put the meat on the grill and a pan with beef broth etc under the meat.

Tx in advance for the help.
 
Do you want it fairly rare? It's irrelevant to your question, but, you say you want to slice. Rare to medium rare on that isn't my jam.

I'm shooting for about 193 degrees final temp and cooking it low and slow at about 250. People do them much hotter, I just prefer lower and longer. Renders more better to me.

I do that cut for pot roast, I don't even crank the heat for that.
 
I’d run 225-250. At least 160 internal before wrapping but moreover make sure the bark is set. I’d go 170 personally. Swipe it with a finger if it smears/is mushy let it go longer. if its crusty-ish go wrap. Then in a pan with wine/beef stock with rough chopped onion, celery, carrot on the bottom, basically beef sitting on top of the veg. Cook till tender.
 
You might get a few different answers here. You will have to choose what works for you.

As I read it, if you are going to chill and slice you really want to prevent it from falling apart. To me that is anything up to about 165 F internal. If you want some sign of "medium" I'd pull the beef at 140F.

As for smoking temp, run it at around 250-275. I don't see much point in going super low or slow but that's just my 2 cents.

Good Luck.

Bill
 
You might get a few different answers here. You will have to choose what works for you.

As I read it, if you are going to chill and slice you really want to prevent it from falling apart. To me that is anything up to about 165 F internal. If you want some sign of "medium" I'd pull the beef at 140F.

As for smoking temp, run it at around 250-275. I don't see much point in going super low or slow but that's just my 2 cents.

Good Luck.

Bill
You make a good point. You either need it med rare or go all the way to brisket level. For me Ill take it all the way, med rare in chuck is just going to be too tough and or too unrendered fatty for me.
 
Chuck will be tough at medium rare tenp unless sliced thin. Take it too 195-200 IT. rub it place it over a pan of beef broth. onions celery carrots fresh herbs, bay leaves to make au jus.
Pull beef apart and place in a fresh roll.

RG
 
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Back
Top
Clicky